getting traction - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

getting traction

Im building a 66 ford ranchero, currently in the early stages, just about got the body work done and getting ready to prime. Im installing a 351 Cleveland with stock bottom end, 13 cc + forged pistons, aussie heads so far. I'll be using a c-4 trans with a 2500 stall, 9 inch rear with a 3.55 gear set.
so far this car's suspension is stock for the 60's. and im looking for ideas. and the most important question will this thing hook and launch or will it sit and spin because of the heaver eng. and truck style bed.
Ive entertained many ideas on what to do to create the traction that im looking for. for example 4 link ladder bars, traction bars and counter sinking the fuel cell over the rear axle with the combo of the above. I will be connecting the uni body frame rails and placing at least one thrust angle support.
has any one done this or have any ideas for me on how to get the best traction outta this beast.
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Footbraker

Last photo:

I'd try some traction bars and slicks first (assuming you already have a limited slip diff. or similar). If the build isn't that radical it shouldn't be that difficult to get it to hook up.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the response, as for the radical right now im really unsure how this is going to go, because so far the numbers on the piston estamate at least anywhere from 10:1 up to 12.85:1 comp and i forgot to say that its 30 over, i haven't yet figured what intake or cam im using yet, but what im shooting for is high compression and good breath ability. so right now i wont know what the engine is capable until i get the block back for mechanist, went in for bore hone and main cap hone to straighten it out. and a cleaning and mega flux.
im rebuilding the trans. to handle high torque and hp, im hoping by the time i get the trans done it'll be a monster and will defiantly be messing around with rear end gear sets to get what i want.
so far im thinking of replacing the leaf springs some adjustable traction bars, some decent adjustable shocks. im not even sure about what tires im gonna run. im trying not to tub at this point. so i wanna look for the biggest tire i can fit into the stock wheel wells.
this rod is going to be used on the street and the strip so im looking for the best of both worlds.
thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

pretty big difference between 10 and 12.85:1 SCR, esp. when considering the cam/heads/intake/etc... to match. If you do go with the higher SCR etc... you might want to rethink the 2500 stall choice, and of course traction may be harder to find.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:14 AM

Last photo:

Ive gotta agree that the compression ratio described seems kinda out there but thats what the specs say, now ive never know the manufacturers to be 100 percent on there estamits. so im thinking actual compression at 10:1 to 11:1
If i get everything stacked up and torqued down and thats what the numbers give me of 12's i wont complain other than the gas prices.
I originally was gonna go with a 3500 stall to 4000, but was told that id be defeating the perpous of creating all that torque with that high of a stall. and like i said this will be street and strip and motoring to car shows. so ive gotta keep a decent gear. in order to keep my rpms at a decent level while cruising.
and since the city i live in, the cops like to mess with hot rodders, I don't wanna have to rev. high in order to take off from a stop lite.
and i wish i could give a better description of the cam im wanting to use but i still dont have my heads. once i get them and take them to the machenist, im planing on haveing stainless valves instaled and some stiff springs put on them.
but the aussie heads are new to me. and dont yet know how to gauge them for the cam and intake.
the specs ive got from the net say that there 2v closed heads with a 62.8 cc quench style chamber bowl, intake of 2.04 and exhaust of 1.67 and ports size Intake 2.02x1.65 ex 1.84x1.38. so right now im not even sure if the heads are going to allow me to use the positive dome pistons with out slapping a valve. that's why im waiting to choose the converter and the cam and intake.
im looking for other stuff to do while i wait for my heads to get in from a guy that i know. Ive heard that people run this set up often but then again unsure until i get to see things put together rolled over and tested.
I think so far im going to go with a set of new leaf springs, bigest tire i can fit in the stock well and some traction bars. plus ive got the frame bracing to do. I was just unsure about weather or not i should just start doing the frame work for 4 link or see what it does first then add them if needed.
sorry to be so unsure about the set up but im not that familiar with ford and this will be my first restoration/ hp build.
thanks again
Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Footbraker

Last photo:

FWIW I've seen plenty of leaf spring cars running as quick as mid 9's in the 1/4.
A 2500 stall is best suited for a mild cam/engine combo. A higher stall won't necessarily ruin your street manners, neither does it mean you'll have to rev high in order to take off from a stop (unless you want to). The car will still move with light throttle input, the big difference comes when you mash the pedal.
Really need more info about your combo.....

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.