Ghia Specialties metal working video review. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ghia Specialties metal working video review.

Ghia Specialties DVD

Well, it is about time I wrote this. Back a while ago I received my DVD from John Kelly’s “Ghia Specialties” called “Custom Metal bodywork”. When I first viewed it I was very disappointed. It seemed like it went way too fast and was choppy skipping around too much. He assured me that he wanted to pack as much info in, so he edited out all the stuff that wasn’t absolutely necessary to get what he wanted across. He told me to view it a few times and give it a chance to sink in. I have, over the past number of months picked it up on a lazy Saturday or Sunday morning and watched it. This is a very unique view into the head of an amazing metal master. Of all the tapes and DVDs I have viewed on the subject this one reveals more about how the man “thinks” than any other. Most will show you how to do something, John explains “why” to do something. The difference being it helps one understand how to put the idea into use on other projects that may not look exactly the same as the one he is working on. It is a true “training” of the skills not just an “example” of it.

He reminds me of an old blacksmith, someone who “made stuff happen, be-darned” the tools available or the money to buy them. He has the most amazing talent to MAKE the needed tools. Forget about being pushed to buy stuff, he shows you how to make every darn tool you could ever need for metal working. He also has the contact info to other sources on most every store bought one he uses if you did want to buy. But almost everything he uses in the DVD are home made by him! Some pretty ingenious ideas I’ll tell you that! How about using a leather purse as a shot bag, or a modified claw hammer for a shrinking/gathering tool! This tape is FULL of tool ideas that most any home hobbyist could put to use. No need to go out and spend a ton of money, with this DVD and some simple hand tools a guy could put together a heck of a metal shop.

Then I watched this DVD I had my 10 year old son (and my wife as well some of it) and I bounce stuff off of them. They both learned things about this craft, as I have said before if nothing else these DVDs on the market “demystify” metal working. My son was amazed at how John would “dent” the metal all up BEFORE making it smooth.

John shows not only how to make multi piece panels from scratch, he also shows how to stretch the metal that IS there into something else! He shows how to bend and create tubing sub structures using simple hand and home made tools as well.

I have to tell you, if you want to add to your metal working skills and broaden your tool vocabulary I highly recommend this disc. It is available at http://ghiaspecialties.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

was it the video given by hot rod DVD library?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't understand the question. I only know of them being available thru Ghia Specialties. It may be available to rent, there are a few sites that do that. Is that what you mean?

Brian
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

well i got a video from the Hotrod Magizine DVD libray for free in the mail .. i was just wondering

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.