Thread: Ghost flames
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight hawk View Post
never done flames before, not too bad with the old enamels...so... I got this chopped/ customized '48 Dodge in flat black primer, and don't plan on painting it any color. Is it possible to paint some ghost flames on the flat black ? I'm thinkin some silver or gray flames ????? thanks
Yes?...Anything is possible, if you want ghost flames, and you want them in gray or silver, I would probably stick with grey because it would be easily done in primer if that's what you wanted to do. Silver is possible as well, a little less ghosty but possible.

First of all grey.
You could mask out your flames, many stensils are available or you could lay them out free hand. After you have your flame pattern laid out of course scuff the area that you want ghosted. Take your primer and add a little white toner to it. Apply it and you have ghost flames.

Silver.
Same thing, prep your ghost flames. Take a minimal amount of silver paint, if your using enamel, add much more reducer than it calls for, do a test panel to see if you have the effect you want. When you have the desired effect, dust the colour onto your flames, don't get hiding or coverage or you will not have the ghost effect. You want your product to be extremely transparent and always refer back to your test panel.

Hope this Helps
Ray