Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ghost lines from welded patch panels
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
Your problem is that youíre using a butt weld. They have their uses such as doglegs and pillar posts, but are not the best choice all around. Because metal flexes it tends to bend at the weakest joints. I use an overlap weld without flanging. It provides a stronger weld hold without flex fatigue associated as evidenced with a butt weld.

Iíve provided two photos of an Acura I sectioned a quarter panel on last week.

for me to overlap a patch panel for the door handle it would have to overlap on the outside of the door, not the backside. not sure which way you overlap. the pocket has to stay there, cant be cut out because the inner handle/latch assembly is built to work with the pocket in the sheet metal. if i overlapped on the outside i beleive the area would be too high for me to be able to make the handle work proerly. the patch is welded in flush with the door skin but i also drilled some holes in the pocket from inside the door so shoot rust fighter in there for protection.