Gibbon body woes :pain: - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looks real good Henry .

Vince

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Oh Well.........

I believe that just about ALL bodies ( fiberglass or steel ) have fit problems, especially when put on a aftermarket frame.

I have steel cars.........on original Ford chassis and I have fit problems ( BUT no fiberglass pockets or holes ). I built a 34 3W for a friend 15 years ago. We used a original 34 Ford frame (48,000 mile vehicle donor ) and a super nice mint 34 Ford 3W body. The body was bought at a estate sale. Body, fenders and grille. As nice a original body as I have ever seen...with no paint on it..

I thought I would pull my hair out trying to get it "just right"

33 - 34 Fords are one of the worse to fit I have experienced. So many curves, slopes and bends........Add a aftermarket chassis ....and your double your problems.

1932 Fords are vastly easier....less curves and slopes.

I hear the same issues you have on Outlaw, Redneck, Hasting, Kilborne and to a lesser degree.....Wescott. It is is Fiberglass thing.....My friend works on Corvettes........and he curses the glass on them too.....

Hang in there Vince........you will overcome.....and end up with a cool car.....

DEUCE......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
When I hear someone refer to my 34 as a "kit car", I want to stomp a mud hole in their #@*. They haven't the foggiest about what they speak. As if all you have to do is bolt it together and paint it...and voila.

Vince
Vince, I never referred to your 34 as a "kit" car in any way at all, I'm not criticizing you at all in any way. Only person who should be criticized at all should be me because I practically have no experience with fiberglass and I'm sorry if you thought I said your 34 was a kit car which of course isn't. I know that you obviously just don't bolt it on and your done, there's alot more that goes into it and that's what I understand. I just made that comment before because it does make me rethink about using fiberglass a little just because it's a little tricky to work with. Again, I didn't mean to offend you in any way, you obviously are extremely talented to be able to do a project car of that magnitude and I learn from people like you so please don't think I referred to that beauty as a "kit" car .

~Tommy
Old 07-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
When I hear someone refer to my 34 as a "kit car", I want to stomp a mud hole in their #@*. They haven't the foggiest about what they speak. As if all you have to do is bolt it together and paint it...and voila.
Vince
You have to admit.........that's the way the manufacturers want you to think.

Buy our little KIT, put your motor in it, paint it and be the envy of your friends and neighbors.
And a LOT of folks buy into it...

If you think you are upset when they refer to your car as a KIT.....think How I feel when they do that to mine. Of course....mine was a Kit.... ....it was just a steel kit, all made by Henry Ford and scattered onto 10 different 32's back in 1932. Then, 40 something years later.... I had to find the parts and put them together again

Don't let them get to you......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Of course....mine was a Kit.... ....it was just a steel kit, all made by Henry Ford and scattered onto 10 different 32's back in 1932. Then, 40 something years later.... I had to find the parts and put them together again

Exactly. There is still some adjustment and fit on bodies at the factory now, and it is 25% of what we had 20 years ago, and that is way, way less than what was going on in the 30s and 40s and 50s. Big hammers were a commonly used tool according to my now deceased but then active auto plant experts. Making things fit was easier back then only because it was somebody's all day job.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.