Gilmer drive? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

some better pics:

In the last picture is the belt run from the crank to the alternator only. No issues.

Do alternators for Chevy have different offsets and shafts that would effect this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM
More for Less Racer

I've never seen different offsets on alternators, could be there is in the mounting ears on the 1988-newer stuff, but the shafts are all the same.

I do know that with the correct V-belt short water pump pulley the back edge of the pulley nearly rubs on the water pump casting. The V-belt crank pulley is flat, right up against the balancer, so you can eyeball that line to maybe give you some idea??

How long is your water pump, from block mounting face to pulley hub mount face without the pulley on it??
Old 12-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat
Its fully seated at this point Im gonna try a different water pump and see what happens.
Do you mean that the pulley is seated against the hub or that the hub is pressed as far on the shaft as it can go? The water pump shaft usually has a pressed on hub that can be pressed farther onto the shaft if there is room between the hub and the body of the pump.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
I've never seen different offsets on alternators, could be there is in the mounting ears on the 1988-newer stuff, but the shafts are all the same.

I do know that with the correct V-belt short water pump pulley the back edge of the pulley nearly rubs on the water pump casting. The V-belt crank pulley is flat, right up against the balancer, so you can eyeball that line to maybe give you some idea??

How long is your water pump, from block mounting face to pulley hub mount face without the pulley on it??
i think the water pump on there now is something like 7" from base to shaft.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisr
Do you mean that the pulley is seated against the hub or that the hub is pressed as far on the shaft as it can go? The water pump shaft usually has a pressed on hub that can be pressed farther onto the shaft if there is room between the hub and the body of the pump.
I meant flat against the mounting hub. How would i know if i have more room on the shaft to press it further? and how would i press it further? Could be a defective water pump.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

The shaft is usually the same dia (5/8 or 3/4) all the way down to where the bearing sits...typically you could press the hub all the way till it hits something. To press farther, remove the rear cover so that you are pressing against the shaft itself, not the impeller or cover.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
More for Less Racer

If you have 7" roughly from hub face to block mounting face, that is the long water pump length. You need something like 5-1/2 to 5-5/8",which is the short pump length.

I don't know what you have going on with the pump you have, it looks like a short pump style body but it appears the shaft is long enough to make it the long pump length. It is some sort of aftermarket pump??

I'd say the pump is definately the problem, that 7" length don't lie, that is standard long pump length. I'd bet with the correct short pump everything falls into place.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I think it's the water-pump or the wrong pulleys. They just don't look right to me. JMO
You are just going hand tight with the belt right ?

Cole
Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
If you have 7" roughly from hub face to block mounting face, that is the long water pump length. You need something like 5-1/2 to 5-5/8",which is the short pump length.

I don't know what you have going on with the pump you have, it looks like a short pump style body but it appears the shaft is long enough to make it the long pump length. It is some sort of aftermarket pump??

I'd say the pump is definately the problem, that 7" length don't lie, that is standard long pump length. I'd bet with the correct short pump everything falls into place.
Its an after market water pump perhaps i might be wrong on the 7" measurement, cause i compared it next to my stock one and was shorter than my old one. It is supposed to be the short pump.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
I think it's the water-pump or the wrong pulleys. They just don't look right to me. JMO
You are just going hand tight with the belt right ?

Cole
Yes not tight.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

The company that sold me the kit is saying my alternator mus be caddy-whompuss, since my belt will walk. But I just installed a brand new Summit racing alternator bracket. The Alternator looks as straight as can be. I do have some in and out play in my shaft on the alternator, Im going to try a new alternator and see what happens. The shaft on my alternator might be bent..But it still would not change the fact that the belt rides on the very rear edge of the water pump pulley.

I think the belt is being walked back by the alternator pulley, it has edges to keep the belt aligned and I would assume the front edge would be forcing the belt to go backwards towards the motor to keep it lined up.

Im willing to try anything at this point.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If I am seeing the pictures correctly the water pump is in question. Take a straight edge and lay it across the face of the water pump and balancer, notice if the straight edge is parallel too the front of the block. Do the same from the alt too the water pump.. see what you come up with..

I do like the low mount, looks much better.. hope you have the room when that thing is installed, or have you checked that out already...? Like interference from the side of the frame or steering box ...
Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
More for Less Racer

Alternator looks fine to me, it's the pump I question, it just looks too long, the back edge of your gilmer pump pulley should be nearly rubbing the water pump main casting if it was truly a short pump.

Measure the distance from the hub face to the block, 5-1/2"ish is a short pump, 7"ish is a long pump despite what manufacturer says or has it boxed as.

X2 onthe low mount fitting in the car, won't fit in any musclecar there, it hits either engine crossmember or steering box.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
If I am seeing the pictures correctly the water pump is in question. Take a straight edge and lay it across the face of the water pump and balancer, notice if the straight edge is parallel too the front of the block. Do the same from the alt too the water pump.. see what you come up with..

I do like the low mount, looks much better.. hope you have the room when that thing is installed, or have you checked that out already...? Like interference from the side of the frame or steering box ...
The engine in there already has a low mount alternator in that position, so should be fine..would be pretty messed up to go thorugh all this trouble and it not fit!!HAHAHA thats gonna be my luck!

Last edited by Dajerseyrat; 12-31-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

You are replacing a FI motor with a normally aspirated/ carburetor motor?

That might be messed up..

I guess if the alternator brackets are the same measurements looks like it is a no brainer...

How about the pulley alignment water pump and damper .. are they parallel or is the water pump out?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.