Give me header !!!! Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2002, 05:09 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Give me header !!!! Help

So ,
the ole red truck has leaky header gaskets. I had just replaced them and did not pay attention to the shape of the exhaust ports. So here is what i got. The 202 camel hump(cast iron) heads have squared exit ports (exhaust). The Hedman headers have round opening. This is the second set in the last 6 months i have gone through. I know their are copper and flanged exhaust gaskets. But can i get from square to round? Simple answer is to buy new headers. But the cash is budgeted for other project componets right now. I`ll have to find another side job!!!!!
What year did Chev change from round to square ports? My engine is a 1968 Camero 350 according to the #`s and suffix codes.
Hea thanks you guys.
Slider in WA.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2002, 05:34 PM

HEY SLIDDER! I had header leaks like rain. I tried cutting the plate between ports, I tried copper gaskets and finaly got composition with aluminum facing at Auto Zone for $ 8.00 and it did the trick. Also leak is hard to find because it sounds like it is all over the place. There is a good post article under HOT ROD SEARCH punch in HEADERS. Hope you enjoy the silence!!! DAVE E SHANK
Old 09-04-2002, 06:44 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

Stock Chevrolet small block never did have round ports, always have been square. Hedman and others use round flanges because it is cheaper to build headers this way. The slight mis-match is usually not a big problem with mildly modified engines. Header leaks are usually caused by flange problems. Check the flange around the ports, there should be some weld material sticking out that has been ground flat (this gives a sealing ridge that compresses the gasket). Make sure this ridge is flat, if not dress it with a flat file. Obviously this will necessitate the removal of the headers from the vehicle. Then, check the flange with a straight edge of some sort. If the flange is warped, then you will have to cut the flange between ports as Dave has suggested. Clean and scrape the exhaust ports on the heads, as this area must be absolutely clean and smooth. I have had very good luck with graphite headers gaskets made by Victor-Reinz (available at NAPA) or similar items made by Fel-Pro and Mr. Gasket. When installing the headers, tighten the bolts from the center of
the heads to the outside and tighten in several steps, i.e. snug ALL of the bolts, then tighten them and then go over them again always in the same sequence. Then after starting the engine, warm it up good and re-tighten the bolts while the headers are still warm. Make sure that you have a wrench that you can get to all of the bolts easily. Sometimes you might even have to modify (grind) a wrench to get it to access all of the bolts. (A box end wrench works best if you can get it on all of the bolts) Then keep this wrench handy, as you will want to go back and re-tighten the bolts every few thousand miles or so. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

That was one of the most complete and throughal answers i have ever received. No wonder the Hedman headers were so cheap. Ya still get what you pay for. Thank you so very much.
Slider in Wa.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:12 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

Yeah, I kinda got carried away. Hope it wasn't too boring.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:36 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

I just bought a brand new set of Hedman headers...pulled them out of the box and they already had scratches on em. I could actually scratch the paint off with my fingernail. I never expected to have to paint them before I even installed them. You're right, you get what you pay for......sure wish I coulda got a set of Hookers (I'm talking about headers here guys.......or am I, lol)
Old 09-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

before marriage and the kids i used to hot rod and thought i was a drag racer . I had to put that all away for a time. Now the kids are gone and i can play again. I naturaly bought the same kinda headers i bought 30 years ago. They were Hedman. I have been gone so long that i did not realize there were squared header and round headers. It`s intirely o.k. though as i love to learn new stuff. One of the reasons i like this site is i can learn from all of you. I did pull the headers, cleaned them ,took the tourch and cut them loose, Installed Mr. Gasket gaskets and so far so good. Thanks for all the good info.
Slider in Wa.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.