Hot Rod Forum banner

Give me a minute.. I'll calm down.

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DrBee 
#1 ·
I'm not sure who I'm mad at the most, Vintage Aire, their local vendor, Edelbrock or the local supply houses.

I am just finishing installing a Vintage Aire Compact II on a 350 SBC. The port for the heater hose is right under the compressor. There is not enough clearance for the fitting without using a short 90 degree fitting. And you still would have to remove the compressor to install the fitting. With the electric fan sensor and the temperature sensor there are not enough fittings to go around in the Edelbrock Intake Manifold.

No one around carries a short 90 fitting. You would think either Vintage Aire or Edelbrock would recognize the problem and offer a solution, but no.

I'm sure I'll be able to Rube Goldberg it, no offense to Rube, but that's not something I should have to do.

Okay ..... there I've calmed downed. No reply required, I just needed to vent.

#5 ·
that is part of the fun of building your own car, make this fit here and that fit there.
without pics it's hard to help you out.
i will say this... i found vintage air the most helpful vendor i've dealt with

for the fan sensor i used a piece of ss muffler tube in the lower radiator hose with half of a pipe coupling welded in, it has worked fine for 15000 miles.
there's also thermostat housings with ports in them

#8 ·
I solved a similar situation (sbc 350/vintage air) with an extension on the thermostat housing (that I got from Vintage Air). It raises the thermostat, but in doing so provides a side port for your heater hose. the extension can be flipped, and/or rotated, giving you 4 options for pointing that port. Here's a link to their catalog page: http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalog/2012 VintageAir Catalog Final WEB (Page 74).pdf
They call it a 'water neck riser'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.