Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Give me some ideas on prepping this thing
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872 View Post
10-4 Dead... hear ya on all points. I know things can add up quick, I'm going to keep a log of all my time and materials. Mainly just need to get another paint job under my belt and more experience. Im not going to get crazy with it, going to photo document everything and materials used just in case I do decide to sell later. You got me feeling bad now, I gave $2600 for this one, maybe I screwed up. But it is 100% stock, so I guess that helps the value some. Most of these cars are butchered up in one way or another.
2600 isnt bad at all,look at it this way you'll send THAT on ANY run of the mill daily driver needing paint. BUTT what you have is (forget that its an Iroc) is a nice stock car with a great interior and LOW milage so ANY car with a great interior and low milage WITH a decent paint job is worth 3500 -4500 so you can saftly invest 900.00 in materials (labor is always free) and when it done you'll have made 1,000... BUT THIS is an Iroc so all done up like new it's worth at least 10,000 to the right buyer...I just saw an 89 all orig all factory with 48000 mi at a car lot for 10,000 it was garage kept and in beautiful shape. So really I dont think you can loose...if you go SPI all the way you can get all the top shelf materials well under 1,000.00 and that'll leave you with enough money left over for tape ,paper,sand paper and everything else.
PLEASE do yourself a big favor and dont skimp on the materials when your going all the way,I see this all the time ,guys strip to the metal and use cheap epoxy, cheap 2k build primer and cheap base and clear thinking thier ahead ,SPI is most defenately what you want all the way if you save a few bucks here and there its not worth it and you can spend twice as much on other top shelf products and get the same quality...I swear by SPI products and always go with them when I want the best..The two things that really stand out are the epoxy primers and the universal clear,the epoxy is simply the best hands down and the clear is every biy as good as glasurat at twice the cost it sprays the same and buffs the same looks like glass right out of the gun and buffs quick and EZ ...that alone is enough to make me a "Dead"icated customer but they have a hotline that can answear any question even a well seasond pro would ask. Every time I've called I've actually talked to the owner Barry and even after 35 yrs in the biz he makes me feel like a newb ,he's that damn smart but hes a regualar guy and NEVER makes you feel like a *******...He even called me one time when he was in my area to invite me to lunch...What a great guy....
JUST DONT PISSEM OFF ,like me, hes always packin...
....GO with SPI......