Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Give me some ideas on prepping this thing
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Everyone has the right idea. In the past I have painted a few cars with this same problem. Sand down to the primer with 80 grit. Go back over the car with 180 grit. Be careful along the edges. Run water over the car in sections and look for any imperfections that may occur. Water will high light any imperfections or deep scratches that may show up after your base coat. Prime the car with three coats of a water base etching primer. This will take care of any spots you sanded thru to bare metal by accident. Add another coat on all the edges of every thing such as wheel wells, door jams. Think you know want I mean. By using a water base primer you will be covering the old paint and primer and should have no lift off off the old material. Water base is a God saver if you don't know what was sprayed before. Make sure you wipe down the areas you are going to primer with a good cleaner and rags. Your paint shop can recommend what to use. Once you have the primer down, you can start sanding with 320. Ask your paint shop for the product data sheets for the type of paint you are going to lay down, ei: Flssh times between coats, size of spray nozzle, ect... Each maufacturer has their requirements that need to be adhered to. Once you lay down the top coat follow the instructions for applying the clear coat. If you are spraying at home in the garage you should check with your city and find out what restrictions they may have so you don't have a nosy neighbor calling in on you. Most shops these days are going to a waterbase material due to environmental issues. It goes on thinner and will require additional coats. If you have NEVER sanded with a DA, I would recommend you block sand by hand after laying a guide coat down in getting the primer ready for your base coat. It will take a bit longer but you won't have waves were you sanding a little more than other areas. The guide coat will reveal any high or low spots you may want to take care of before the base coat. Sand in the directon of the panels. Mainly front to back, never cross hatch or sand the guide coat in anX pattern. Never sand using just your fingers either. Use a backing pad or a foam pad that will help apply even pressure. If you have any questions fell free to call me at 682-227-3095