Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Give me some ideas on prepping this thing
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I still have my air board but rarly use because I start sanding my bondo before it gets hard by hand but occationally, on a big panel I cant move fast enough and the filler gets hard so I have to break it out.pretty much ALL my filler sanding is done by hand too..
Good post Dead, shape the filler first and use the long board to get it straight. It's funny you should bring that up this morning. Yesterday a customer of mine phoned me to tell me he bought a 1922 Ford Hack ( you know, all wood from the frame up) and in the pile of parts he found an air board still in the box and wanted to sell it to me. I turned him down because I already have one I don't use.

I explained to him why I didn't want the air board and he asked if he could use it on wood (some of the Oak pieces are 10 feet long). We stuck on a 180 grit strip and tried it...It was excellent for what he was doing, 2 inch thick Oak isn't going to buckle under pressure and being perfectly straight wasn't the order of the day in 1922. So there you go, an air board used for finish sanding on a 22 Ford. Who would have thunk it.

He's a mill rite from way back and really good with wood. I got the job of doing the drive train, frame, fenders hood, basically everything that needs to be painted black....not a whole pile of painting on this one. Believe it, this vehicle still has a lot of the original wood and it's in amazing condition, even the spokes on the wheels look mint, original seats with minimal wear and not a rip. This was a true estate sale barn find.

Just thought I'd share the air board story.

Ray