Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Give me some ideas on prepping this thing
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 05:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Hinge pin replacement problems

Well I got my door off and the paint stripped .Then went to replace the pins and bushings and ran into a problem...First off the door side of the hinge is welded to the door,not a biggie but a bit of a pita..the main problem is the top hinge has two pins and they're a lot fatter than your normal pin and bushing,as expected they are unavailable from the parts stores and the dealer cant get them either so I had to figure out how to convert the hinge to the standaed GM pin & bushing...I figure the best way is to punch a plug the right size to fit in the bushing hole and drill it to the new size....so since theres no way to drill the new bushing hole in the welded on side of the hinge while its welded on the door and I'm NOT removing the hinge because of the time it'll take to drill out those 4 huge welds so I'll drill a hole into a 1/4" piece of steel first thats the right size for the new bushing then using a hydrallic press, punch out a blank that fits the old big bushing hole and it'll have the new hole already in it.then I'll weld it in...when I actually do it I'll take a few pics so you camaro guys can do a hinge rebuild using standard pins and bushings for 10.00 insted of having to buy a whole new hinge....

If any of you guys have ever done the pins & bushing on one of these and know an easier way or where to get these bushings Please let us know...