Give me some ideas on prepping this thing - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Door jamb color match... I still cant believe it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

8 hours in not bad Andy...I think your being a bit hard on yourself...You had three first against you from the beginning.

1) First time shooting base clear
2) First time using the product
3) First time using the gun

I've mentioned to you before that in all the years that I've been painting, I've only had one or two jobs that I did and looked at it and said...this doesn't need a thing...I pick my own work apart and I'm my worst critic.

So chin up my friend, you did do a great job.
Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
novafreek6872 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That is an awesome out of the can color match...I'm going to try and take a picture of that TA I looked at today and see if I can figure out how to post it so you can see what I mean by factory Orange Peel....I'm sure you already know but it may help some other people out as well.

Ray
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Oh, I'm happy... Just tired, I've been working 2 jobs for the past month lol... feel like I'm under the gun to get this thing finished because I will be moving across the state in a few weeks, looking for a new job and house and have absolutely no time for car related activities... kinda now or never type thing. I was halfway through my project when we found out my wife got this great new job she applied for and just couldnt pass it up.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

So there you go Andy, 2 more new things going against you, wife's new job, and moving to a new city...It all adds up.

Ray
Old 12-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Almost done now... I got my satin black areas painted today as well as recleared a mirror (had some dry spray) and based and cleared the chin spoiler (on the car)...came out really good, I think I finally got the gun adjustment right...course it had to be on the last thing I painted on this project!!! Waiting on stripes that go around the bottom of the car and IROC-Z door decals...should be here any day.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Looks great Andy, congratulations and sincere Kudos on a job well done, love the reflection...it's gonna be hard to sell it now...right?

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
novafreek6872 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Looks great Andy, congratulations and sincere Kudos on a job well done, love the reflection...it's gonna be hard to sell it now...right?

Ray
Thanks Ray, I appreciate all your advice it really helped me alot... I'm happy with how its turning out, I could have done better (spent more time on it) , but its very decent all things considered... The next one ( don't know what or when that will be), will really be something because I finally figured out how to get my new gun set up!!

And , NO, I wont be upset to sell it for the right price... , Although I do really love the car (youthful memories)... but they are plentiful and cheap so Im sure another will come along

Andy
Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

We all can do better...and that's what keeps the people that strive for perfection going...I'm sure the next one will be killer, you've got more than the bug...you've got talent and that comes from giving a damn.

Good attitude on selling the car, I know it took a bit of time but you should make some respectable coin.

Best to you and your family this Christmas my friend.

Ray
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

That really looks great,One of the signs of a great paint and bodyman is they always want the next one better than the last one,even if the last one was 99.9% perfect...It reminds me of the drag racers always trying to get that extra 1/10th of a second shaved off...were never satisfied...
I agree you have the natural talent and the eye...
Mine is just sittin again with the front sheetmetal stripped and epoxied... hey those doors are a mother to take apart and pull the glass,one of the toughest I've done,everything is rivited...
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Hey Mike,

Yea the doors ARE a mother! Now, I did not pull the glass on mine, although I did remove the "vent window" << (ha dont know what that piece is called), the outside mirror, the door handles and loosened up the lock cylinder (shoulda just removed it), also the GFX piece that goes down low on the door.

The WORST part of all of it was the window felt piece, some of those screws were a ****** to get to with the window installed. I got it all back together, just need to stick the interior door panels back on now. If you need new window felts a place called A1 auto has the best deal, cost around $70 for both and they are great quality.

Andy
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

[QUOTE=deadbodyman;1624943]That really looks great,One of the signs of a great paint and bodyman is they always want the next one better than the last one,even if the last one was 99.9% perfect...It reminds me of the drag racers always trying to get that extra 1/10th of a second shaved off...were never satisfied...
[
You nailed it Mike.

The hardest painter to train is the one that thinks everything he does is perfect...then there's no room for improvement in that painter...the easiest is the one who picks out things in his own work and asks why, and how questions on how to improve...As I've said before on this forum, one major difference between painters and applicators is that a painter gives a damn, an applicator says "the customer won't see it outside".

Ray
Old 12-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Nice job!! I noticed you mentioned you were using a LVLP gun, but I could not find what gun. What gun did you use?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevs79 View Post
Nice job!! I noticed you mentioned you were using a LVLP gun, but I could not find what gun. What gun did you use?
Thanks. google warwick 904L... good gun and very low overspray runs a little over $100
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

[quote=69 widetrack;1624998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
That really looks great,One of the signs of a great paint and bodyman is they always want the next one better than the last one,even if the last one was 99.9% perfect...It reminds me of the drag racers always trying to get that extra 1/10th of a second shaved off...were never satisfied...
[
You nailed it Mike.

The hardest painter to train is the one that thinks everything he does is perfect...then there's no room for improvement in that painter...the easiest is the one who picks out things in his own work and asks why, and how questions on how to improve...As I've said before on this forum, one major difference between painters and applicators is that a painter gives a damn, an applicator says "the customer won't see it outside".

Ray
Hey Ray ,I was training a new guy (16yr old or so) who was working for me to do body work and he was getting pretty good ..One day he checked out his work after I painted the car like he always did and saw a lump where he fixed a dent and blew a gasket. he came to me all upset because the other guys were busting he nads and said he just cant do this any more, all the time he spent learning and doing his best was all for nothing ,he was almost in tears...I told him that wasnt hes fault it was mine ,I saw that before I painted the car and it was acceptable for that old beater otherwise I would have pulled it back into his bay,and dont worry about those jokers, if things ever got to where I only needed one guy it would be him that I kept because he cared so much about his work and always went above and beyond what was expected of him and at his own expence... those other jokers see that and it worries them because they dont care they only do it for a check at the end of the week...
I was right ,a few years later he was a fantastic bodyman and a pretty good painter too.I ran into him one day and he told me I changed his whole life that day,he didnt know where he would be if he had quit....
what a good feeling it was to be a positive influance in someones life and to be rememberd for doing something so significant in someones life that I had completely forgot about 5 min after I said it that day...
BTW those other two ,I think they're in jail or something

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.