give me your quote/words of wisdom on what you see in society today - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hahahahaha

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.-Carlin

Last edited by tech69; 04-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM

Some more

"you don't ask....you don't get" another one is " if he'll steal a dime , he'll steal a dollar".. I will check out the Thomas Jefferson stuff later.( thanks for the suggestion) years ago I saw an old book called COMMON SENSE. That was the actual title of it. I looked inside for awhile & now I wish I could grow a 3 rd foot to kick my own butt, for not buying it!!! This is one of the best threads I've seen in a long time. Sure beats the hell out of the Drama Queens & Menopausal women , on Yellow Bullit HAHAHAHAHA.......... Thanks Guys
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
"One should move from their parents basement before retirement".
Ah tis so true...I am patiently waiting for my step son to move out of my basement...he's 21 and judging by the lads maturity level some days...I only have 8 more years to go.

Ray
Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

seems to be a thing of the times. I bet if times were better for these kids in terms of opportunity they'd do just that and be moved out. I moved out at 16 and moved to west Hollywood. It was a mistake.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

Went to the bank to get money out! The computers were down, they couldn't give me my money, I asked them to do it the old fashion way with my bank book and their books They can't!!!!! there is no written back up to the computer records its all on the computer LOL So I drove to my credit union LOL they were on the same system and their computers didn't work either You talk about eggs in one basket so I went to the parts store and instead of paying cash I asked if they would special order the part and I could pay when it came in and he looked at me and said "sorry the computer is down" (they were on the same system as the bank and credit union) they don't have books any more they put everything in the computer and trashed the old books!

Here's the kicker I went to the store to get cigarettes and they cant use the cash register because its computerized! And the girl is doing everything on a pad and pencil Ok I think thats pretty cool SO Im in line and its taking forever I get up there and the customers are helping the girl do Math and counting change

This is a small town, Charter is the main supplier for high speed computer here and if its lost the town goes into a panic LOL

Oh, and when I got home the tv the phone and my internet didn't work till the next morning

Every thing is in the computers! Or should I say one basket! Peoples lives and well being are dependent on computers, trucking, airlines, hospitals, our power , water, the world , our factory's and assembly lines even machines like CNC that replaced the good old machinists and Millwrights, put one of those CNC operators on an old mill and lathe and hand him a broken gear and tell him you need it right away LOL

The world is in a hand basket! Take a young persons cell away and they are lost and now they want to teach on line no more school rooms here (our new governor)

I think that old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"
covers the world pretty good!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
"Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

Went to the bank to get money out! The computers were down, they couldn't give me my money, I asked them to do it the old fashion way with my bank book and their books They can't!!!!! there is no written back up to the computer records its all on the computer LOL So I drove to my credit union LOL they were on the same system and their computers didn't work either You talk about eggs in one basket so I went to the parts store and instead of paying cash I asked if they would special order the part and I could pay when it came in and he looked at me and said "sorry the computer is down" (they were on the same system as the bank and credit union) they don't have books any more they put everything in the computer and trashed the old books!

Here's the kicker I went to the store to get cigarettes and they cant use the cash register because its computerized! And the girl is doing everything on a pad and pencil Ok I think thats pretty cool SO Im in line and its taking forever I get up there and the customers are helping the girl do Math and counting change

This is a small town, Charter is the main supplier for high speed computer here and if its lost the town goes into a panic LOL

Oh, and when I got home the tv the phone and my internet didn't work till the next morning

Every thing is in the computers! Or should I say one basket! Peoples lives and well being are dependent on computers, trucking, airlines, hospitals, our power , water, the world , our factory's and assembly lines even machines like CNC that replaced the good old machinists and Millwrights, put one of those CNC operators on an old mill and lathe and hand him a broken gear and tell him you need it right away LOL

The world is in a hand basket! Take a young persons cell away and they are lost and now they want to teach on line no more school rooms here (our new governor)

I think that old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"
covers the world pretty good!!!
I couldn't agree more, we, in today's society are so dependent on computers it's being more and more scary. The fact that so many of the younger generation can't do math on a piece of paper and a pencil, let alone in there head should tell us something.

Computers where built, designed, made whatever, to make peoples lives easier, faster and safer. I call BS...my father recently saw $5,000 disappear from his bank account while he was checking his balance on the computer in front of his eyes...wouldn't have happened before the computer age.

What about faster...try this for yourself, what's faster, cash or debit, with debit, when the computers are up and running you need to wait for your total, pull out your card, insert it in the machine, the proper side up, wait for the connection, answer all of the questions like which account, do you accept etc and the wait again...if all goes well, you need to wait for the computer to process, and open the till. With cash, you simply open your wallet, give it to the cashier, the till opens and tells the cashier what your change is...much faster not including all the times that the person in front of you forgets their pin number, chooses the wrong account or has the wrong card...I don't know but I've never had the wrong cash with me, it always seems to work.

Less paper, it's a proven fact that since the advent of computers more innocent trees have been victimized to not only give us a record but when we print something today and don't like it, we throw the paper away and make corrections and print again.

Is it safer, No, I don't think so, is it faster, not by a long shot, does it save paper, it's proven that it doesn't. What does it do? I was at the store the other day, I purchased 3 taxable items that totaled exactly $6.00...our tax rate is 13%...I had $6.78 ready for the cashier before she could swipe the codes and push the total button...what it did was amaze a crowd of people that took the time to ask me how on earth I did that. what it has done is in many peoples eyes, has turned me into a magician...a career path I definitely never thought that I would ever choose.

Maybe I'm old school, I go to the bank, get my cash and pay for what I need. Debit cards do give you a record for each and every transaction, but, so does the place of business that you purchased items from. When you go for a refund or need a proof of purchase, they all want to see a receipt, your bank statement isn't a good enough record for any business that may or may not give you your money back.

Here's one of my favorite quotes...If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think our financial system was broke (well not for the honest portion of the general public anyway, I guess they're still trying to fix the problems from the last crash on wall street).

Ray
Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

it's no different than a phone #.. can you say the #'s of your 15 closest people, of course not, you hit a button and it dials, same with people and math..
take the automatic computer away and every person will be able to make change without thinking about it..
one place I worked at, covered the employee side so the computer only listed the change for the customer the employee had to do it in their heads.. we all could make change without thinking about it..
it's not that they can't it's the lack of use and double checking that makes it take so long when the computers go down..

if a solar spike takes out the grid.. many will be lost..
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

"the more I'm around people, the better I like my dog"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wretched ratchet For This Useful Post:
dinger (04-12-2013), tech69 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
"the more I'm around people, the better I like my dog"
Hmmmm Wonder how your dog feels.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Biggest issue I see - here in Canada is just as bad as in the US - is PARTY POLITICS!

Seems it FAR more important to be loyal to "THE PARTY" than to the country - doesn't matter if its the Democans or the Repubilcrats, the Reversatives or the (whatever)

Reminds me just a bit TOO much of Germany when it was more important to be a "Good Nazi" than to be loyal to the country, or Russia which even had party Komisars in every place - including army, navy & air force units to enforce "proper political thought".

Get rid of political parties - every politician run as an independent - most of the country's problems will go away - any country!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave57210 For This Useful Post:
lt1silverhawk (04-12-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I agree. I grew up skateboarding and there has been nothing in my life that I have witnessed that brought so much diversity and flavor. you'd go to contests and see people of all color, rockers, rappers, people from all over the world, and the one thing we had in common brought us all together as a unit. It was genuine/real. So when I think of politics and how it forces you to take sides there will NEVER be a true unity amongst the people cause they simply won't allow it. It's a swinging pendulum that goes to one side to the other but is connected and is one piece. This swinging pendulum will always give about half the people the impression that things are going well. It's a system created to keep the peace but keep us divided while they screw us "left" and "right". Just my 2 pennies.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
lt1silverhawk (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Nectar of the Gods!!

"Cost a nickel--Butter Brickle--- Candy Bar."

BB
Chocolate syrup or hot fudge turns that into an amazing experience.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
Chocolate syrup or hot fudge turns that into an amazing experience.
Chocolate syrup or hot fudge, Nectar of the God's II!!

BB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.