Glad to see this sub-forum created - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Glad to see this sub-forum created

I know this isn't directly engine related but I am glad to see this sub-forum started. I recently bought some tuning sofware to practice and learn how to correctly tune the ECM on my 11 year old Silverado 2500. I'm looking forward to seeing what information gets posted here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

Wiki Edits: 0

Me too!

What software did you get? I have not bought into the OBDII stuff yet because it is so *** expensive compared to what I have that covers OBDI

Last edited by latech; 12-16-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

I have HP Tuners. It is expensive but with the initial purchase it comes with 8 credits which lets you unlock the PCMs on up to four vehicles (GM in my case). I'm intrigued by the real time tuning feature that is available (for two credits) and the option for wideband O2 tuning.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:52 AM
GearHead-EFI.com

I did'nt think you could do real time tuning on OBDII? Or is it an Auto Tune?

WideBand O2 sensor and controllers are not cheap, I don't know what/how HP Tuners incorperates it to their software? But I do like using the WideBand O2 for data logging my WOT runs!!! Then you need to know your ECM/Bin/Software to make changes so it goes to commanded AFR at WOT. This way you get your good, clean running engine with effecincy and MPG but also a more HP freindly AFR at WOT like 12.5 to 1 instead of 14.7 to 1

Old 12-18-2011, 12:31 AM

Last photo:

It is real time tuning. You have to download the modified operating system and it allows you to make real time tuning changes while data logging then when you are done you save the changes and flash it as you would any other tune. I haven't tried it yet since I'm still learning the basics but I'm already figuring out that it's probably a lot easier than shutting the truck off every few minutes/hours to make reflash minor changes.

I picked up my wideband sensor and controller from a friend of mine that bought it and never used it. I haven't actually tried it yet though.

I'm in need of a new computer too. My battery barely lasts long enough to log any decent amount of data and/or the computer just crashes. In fact, it crashed twice today 20 minutes into a couple runs. I wasn't happy.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:12 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
It is real time tuning. You have to download the modified operating system and it allows you to make real time tuning changes while data logging then when you are done you save the changes and flash it as you would any other tune. I haven't tried it yet since I'm still learning the basics but I'm already figuring out that it's probably a lot easier than shutting the truck off every few minutes/hours to make reflash minor changes.

I picked up my wideband sensor and controller from a friend of mine that bought it and never used it. I haven't actually tried it yet though.

I'm in need of a new computer too. My battery barely lasts long enough to log any decent amount of data and/or the computer just crashes. In fact, it crashed twice today 20 minutes into a couple runs. I wasn't happy.

Glad to see someone will have the experience I need by the time I get my engine done and start tuning.

This new forum is great for sure for us guys installing a little technology in our rods.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:

Not really sure that this qualifies as real-time tuning, as you're still having to flash the computer. I'd consider real time to be a change that takes effect as soon as you enter it. Or did I misread something?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Link to HP Tuners:

Clickety - Click
Old 12-18-2011, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_Freud
Not really sure that this qualifies as real-time tuning, as you're still having to flash the computer. I'd consider real time to be a change that takes effect as soon as you enter it. Or did I misread something?
You do make tuning changes in real time using the scanner software. However, it does not permanently write it to the PCM. After you are done you have to save the changes then permanently write the changes using the editor software.

Pugsy, I've been eyeballing it for a few years since a co-worker was telling me about using it to tune his firebird. You'd be surprised at how ugly some of the factory tunes really are. Some are nasty enough that even a novice would be appalled. I know I was when I saw the timing tables for my truck.

They aren't the only game out there though. EFI Live is pretty popular too, among others.

Last edited by Blazin72; 12-18-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Last journal entry: Getting all the parts together for my LTX build
Last photo:

If anyone needs help tuning obd 1 systems I've been playing around with it for years on 5 4th generation f bodies. Leo know of many free data logging systems. I'm to the point on my camaro where there is basically no emissions, shut down certain parts of the ecm, deleted faults so the check engine light never comes on.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
You do make tuning changes in real time using the scanner software. However, it does not permanently write it to the PCM. After you are done you have to save the changes then permanently write the changes using the editor software.

Pugsy, I've been eyeballing it for a few years since a co-worker was telling me about using it to tune his firebird. You'd be surprised at how ugly some of the factory tunes really are. Some are nasty enough that even a novice would be appalled. I know I was when I saw the timing tables for my truck.

They aren't the only game out there though. EFI Live is pretty popular too, among others.
So the changes take effect in real time? I guess I misunderstood what you were saying.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Yes but they are only temporary until you save the changes to your working tune file and reflash the PCM. After that they are permanent.

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.