Hot Rod Forum banner

Glass

931 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Stitch 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to get the glass out of a 49 Chevy fleetline? I guess it would be the same as any old car. I hadn't attempted again after I already broke a chunk out of the front window, just wanna be able to take the rest of the front and the back out without having to clean up a lot of glass.. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Its been my experience that for the most part glass that's been in that long either comes out easily or won't come out at all.

If you're doing a resto then you probably want to replace the glass anyway.

Centerline

#5 ·
Don't forget your safety glasses when working with glass.
If it's old glass, it isn't tempered.

Troy

#7 ·
Rule of thumb is if you can click your fingernail on a defect in the glass, you can't buff it out. I've seen some filled with epoxy.

You can buy most glass for the older cars, and there's lots of places that will custom make what ever you need.

Troy

#8 ·
Thanks for the info.. What i was trying to do was pull the chrome out around the front windshield when I got to a corner and it broke.. I fooled with it for a min until I decided safety glasses would be needed. It was spitting little chunks at me :)
The main reason I ask is for the rear window, the glass is still good and I didn't want to have to replace it if I could help it.

#9 ·
Maybe try pouring some hot soapy water over the rubber just before you're ready to push it out , it may help a little I dunno , but it certainly won't hurt anything . Push the glass from the inside and try and keep a square and even pressure on it . But if you really wanna keep the glass do what Dragon J said and run a knife around the rubber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.