@#$%&* Glass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2003, 09:48 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry @#$%&* Glass

Aw right...How the h...l do you install the @#$%& glass in a 41 Willys??? I just came in from 4 hours of frustration trying to get the d... glass installed in the rear 2 windows and the windshield.

Don't ever try to do this with your best friend!!! You will no longer be friends. He will avoid your shop like plague. Mention glass and he will head for the 12 step "glass" program. LOL I need them tonight.

My glass has the rubber strip with the built in lock strip. I tryied all the favorite tricks like using a piece of light cord to help snap the lock, lots of windshield washer fluid, dishwashing soap and glass cleaner for lubes.

I got half way around on one window and the d... thig poped out right under my hand. That was the best I could do. I managed to get the window in the rubber on the hole but forget snapping the lock strip. Luckily I haven't broken any but I'm d...close to giving the glass away and go get some Lexan and #8 button heads and bolt it in.

The glass fits the opening in the body with about 3/8 inch all around. The rubber takes up 1/4 inch so there should be enough rooom. The opening is flat and not warped. I ground the back sides down to aobut 1/8 thickness, rounded the edges, sanded and made everything nice and smooth. I soaked the rubber in blistering hot very soapy water for a few minutes and had plenty of lubricants on hand, I even had a heat lamp so I could keep the rubber soft and pliable. I've heard this is a b.....h but I sure didn't expect this.

How about a trick idea??

thanks for the help

bentwings

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2003, 11:31 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

When i helped our glass man put in a few everything went quite well.

Did the silicon lub thing all around the seal.
Put the seal on the glass.
Wrapped a heavy string or light rope around the seal.
Started at the bottom middle and worked our way in both directions to the sides them over the top. Using the string to pull the seal into the car from the outside.

No problems at all. A couldn't tell you what your doing wrong if your doing all that and it still doesn't go in. Check to see how thick the seal is exactly.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:46 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you are using a new seal, you may be making things worse by having it hot. They should be relatively pliable, but not soft. You don't want it to go in too easy, cause it comes out that same way.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:18 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Smile we have the technology!!!!

Thanks for the input. I also scanned the info tech pages but couldn't find any magic.

I went back out today and spent another 2 frustrating hours. I got the glass in the rubber with lube and a cord but still couldn't get it to snap into place. I finally removed it and took another look at the gap all around. would you believe that the opening was pretty good an symetrical but....the d....m glass is not cut real perfect. Turns out it fits better one way than the other. ok we try it this way...still no luck. I finally take the die grinder after carefully laying out a thin line around the tighter areas and trim off about 1/16 inch around about 1/2 of the opening. G... D..m it slid right in nice and tight and the lock snapped right in place. Just goes to show you that things aren't as they seem...gotta check everything. I checked the second window and glass and it needs just a little grinding too. The windshield looks like it will go right in.

adtkart....I believe you are right about the heat. I tried using a heat gun (carefully) and besides drying up the soap the rubber got real sticky even with fresh hot soap. I think just warm to the touch is ok. Also you are right about the fit. That's why I was trying to force it in. It fits very snug now but will come out if the lock is opened.

On a steel body the opening would be much smoother and more consistant. These glass bodies are cut from a template and it can move around a bit which leaves a not too smooth edge and not the best size or form. The glass/rubber is supposed to be a strong push fit which causes the inner area of the seal the seal the circumfrence o the body. the lips are to seal against the glass and the body. In this case there is no doubt that I will have to inject some silicone sealer under the rubber. Shouldn't be a problem as I have done this before.

thanks again for the posts.

bentwings

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.