glass cutting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 07:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

glass cutting

hey guys,
im trying to find out where to get the front and back glass for a chopped 57 chevy pick up . we chopped 2.5 inches out and now need to find a place to get the glass. thanks for any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I am no expert, but I think that I would have cut the glass first and then chopped the top making the windshield opening to fit the glass.................metal is easier to shape than glass.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

Theres a guy in Connecticut that can cut your glass. all you do is make a template and he can cut it and ship it to you. If you can't find any one closer let me know and I will tell you how to get in touch with him. he's the one that cut my windshield on my 55 and he will be cutting my Pontiac glass when the time comes.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:26 PM

glass cutting

iroc100,
thanks i would appriciate the info on the people you know for the glass work. do they also furnish the glass? we tried a couple of glass companies that told us they could do the job but failed.
thanks again
Old 10-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Oh my goodness, you may be in trouble. I hope when you say you have "chopped the top" you don't mean it is done and in paint or something. Because you have some metal work to do. When you chop one of those trucks with the wrap around windshield you have to add metal to the lower corners. When the glass is cut it leans back and the corners of the glass have to be trimmed off at the bottom. This leaves the corners of the glass IN more than they use to be. You see, as Poncho said, you cut your glass first and then make the top fit the glass, not the other way around. Unlike a flat glass when you lower the top on that wrap around you not only reduced the height of the "hole" the glass sits in you changed it's shape. Well, you can't change the shape of the glass to match it!

Is this a big back window? If it is, you are really out of luck there. That glass is tempered and can not be cut. You need to have one made to the tune of about $1,500.00 the last time I checked, or make one out of lexan or plexiglass. If it is the small window, no problem. Even though it has a slight curve to it, a piece of flat safety plate glass will flex enough and fit.

Back to the windshield, I wrote this for another guy with the same problem a while ago. I imagine there are other says like making a pattern out of poster board or something, then cutting the glass and making the top fit the glass. I was told to make this pattern by a local top chop wizard and it worked great.

Brian

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

The curved windshield is the biggest obstacle to overcome on a top chop project. This was the hardest lesson I ever learned about chopping, it was a 1956 Chevy truck and some jerk wasted $900.00 of my money trying to cut three new windshields of mine before he gave up! So, this is how you fix the problem.....

Get a new windshield. Using that glass, make a fiberglass "windshield". Go to TAP Plastics (they are all over the country, if not there may be another fiberglass/plastic specialty place near you) and get info on doing this. In a nut shell you need to turn the glass up side down, supporting it as good as you can so it doesn't flex. It is very heavy and it WILL flex. I used rolled up towels and things so it wouldn't get scratched. Now you wax the glass, and start laying fiberglass mat soaked with resin on the waxed glass. Be sure to press or "roll" out the air so you have a nice tight sheet of fiberglass when you are done. After you have covered the glass with about 1/4" of mat and it has cured thoroughly Take a card board tube and glass it in on top of this layer of fiberglass you have made.
Trim the out side to this "fiberglass windshield" to the EXACT size as the glass (well, you do realize that you don't need to go all the way up on the top of the glass with the fiberglass because you will be cutting it off anyway) then you need to cut the fiberglass down to approx. the height of the glass you will need to make your windshield. DON'T CUT TO MUCH, plan on putting it in and out of the "hole" ten or twenty times till you have it right. Now, when you have it cut down to the correct size you need to thin the edge, because you have made this "fiberglass windshield" on the INSIDE of the glass so it is not going to represent the glass but the rubber that the glass sits in. So the edge has to be about 1/8" thick, that way if you make your top fit this perfectly, your glass will go right where this "fiberglass windshield" has gone.

Do you understand where I am going with this? You make a "fiberglass windshield" to make a pattern for the glass cutter but more than that, you now need to modify the roof to fit the glass. Using this "fiberglass windshield" you can add the metal you need or remove the metal you need till the roof fits the glass, then using your "fiberglass windshield" as a pattern the glass man can cut your new glass and it will go right in.

When you just dropped the top down, you changed the shape of the "hole" the glass sets in, glass can't be modified, but the metal can. So you use this "fiberglass windshield" as a pattern to modify the metal to fit the glass. Down in the corners at the bottom of the posts will have to be extended, because when the glass is laid back (even that little bit) the corners of the glass will go inside the body now being to narrow for the opening.

The next step is to find a guy (or gal) who can cut the glass. It may need to be cut in half, then the guy can cut each half very easily and then "butt" the glass back together with silicone. Yes it will have a seam down the center, but at least it will have glass, and as much as you chopped it, you will hardly see it. Good luck
Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

I just noticed you only chopped it 2.5 inches, that should make this MUCH easier. The hole didn't change nearly as much as mine did with a 4 inch chop.

But that pattern is still the most important part of the process.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Here is something that may be of help, http://www.peak.org/~classicglass/

Brian
Old 10-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

sbf342, did you get my pm?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:41 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Here is something that may be of help, http://www.peak.org/~classicglass/

Brian
I get a redirect to http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/

Thanks for the link! I've been wondering where to get a seamless windshield for my '49 Olds.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.