View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Thats a great tool (I have one with a few different blades) ands its 10 times faster than the pull knife but it also has its limitations ,compared to the electric sawzall cutting tool is like comparing the astro to the pull knife, Its amazing seeing it in action for the first time. Unfortunatly the sawzall looking tool costs about 300+ and the stainless putty knife looking blade is around 100.+,so its only affordable to the pros that do glass work all day...

Anybody got any tricks to make the job easier???? (besides calling the glass guy) I have a couple I'll share..
If your using the piano wire ,getting it through the glue can be a challenge so what I do is heat up some tie wire cherry red and melt a hole through the glue for the wire, piecea cake....If you have the good pull knife you can also heat the blade up to make it cut faster.
One trick I just remembered is to not do as I said running the blade against the glass, THAT is how you break the glass. I haven't cut out a laminated glass in years and forgot this. On tempered glass it works very well but on laminated you want to "sail" the knife thru the urethane and keep away from the glass.

Brian