Glass experts - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 turbo View Post
ive done a bit of glass work, that pull knife will have you mad in minute. either use a wire to cut it out , or get an astro air powered knife. they work well for the money. you also should use a glass primer around the edge.
Thats a great tool (I have one with a few different blades) ands its 10 times faster than the pull knife but it also has its limitations ,compared to the electric sawzall cutting tool is like comparing the astro to the pull knife, Its amazing seeing it in action for the first time. Unfortunatly the sawzall looking tool costs about 300+ and the stainless putty knife looking blade is around 100.+,so its only affordable to the pros that do glass work all day...

Anybody got any tricks to make the job easier???? (besides calling the glass guy) I have a couple I'll share..
If your using the piano wire ,getting it through the glue can be a challenge so what I do is heat up some tie wire cherry red and melt a hole through the glue for the wire, piecea cake....If you have the good pull knife you can also heat the blade up to make it cut faster.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My tip is to call the glass guy. I've broken several windshields over the years in my attempts to change them. I finally admitted changing windshields are beyond my ability.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Thats a great tool (I have one with a few different blades) ands its 10 times faster than the pull knife but it also has its limitations ,compared to the electric sawzall cutting tool is like comparing the astro to the pull knife, Its amazing seeing it in action for the first time. Unfortunatly the sawzall looking tool costs about 300+ and the stainless putty knife looking blade is around 100.+,so its only affordable to the pros that do glass work all day...

Anybody got any tricks to make the job easier???? (besides calling the glass guy) I have a couple I'll share..
If your using the piano wire ,getting it through the glue can be a challenge so what I do is heat up some tie wire cherry red and melt a hole through the glue for the wire, piecea cake....If you have the good pull knife you can also heat the blade up to make it cut faster.
One trick I just remembered is to not do as I said running the blade against the glass, THAT is how you break the glass. I haven't cut out a laminated glass in years and forgot this. On tempered glass it works very well but on laminated you want to "sail" the knife thru the urethane and keep away from the glass.

Brian
Old 08-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I wonder how long do those Astro blades last, do they have replacement ones?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You can sharpen them but if you contact the company I'm sure they'll send you replacements if one was to break,I've never broken one though..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.