glass removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question glass removal

anybody have any tips for removing glass? I have to take the front and rear glass out of my '47 plymouth and i don't want to break anything.

Thanks,

JB

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2002, 02:06 PM

I have removed glass from several old vehicles and the best advice I can give you is....be very patient. Cut all of the old gasket material out of the way so you don't have to exert and bending pressure on the glass. Although glass can be very strong, it can break very quickly if it has any king of edge flaw or chip (stress riser). On the other hand, I once observed a guy force the rear window out of a 59 El Camino using all the force his two legs could develop. It finally popped out, no damage done! Again, take your time and be patient...and get a good razor knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2002, 08:15 PM

Hay guys on those Plymouths the moldings tighten the rubber and tighten the glass in the rubber. Without the moldings you would never to get the weatherstrip to seal.If there is no sealer when you take the moldings out of the car the glass will fall out.What Iam saying is as you tighten the inside moldings it seals the glass to the weatherstrip and body. It is the easyest glass to put in and out I have ever seen. ROY
Old 02-14-2002, 08:26 PM

As 454impala69 has already said "patience"!!!but a added tip-use a piece of "piano wire" about .020 or smaller & couple of short pieces of old broom stick---insert the wire between the glass & the body through the rubber. you'll need some extra wire length-- now wrap the wire around the broom sticks---possibly get a friend to work one side-pull the wire around with a sawing motion--"caution" this cuts very easy & fast most of the time so go slow beacuse it builds quite alot of heat(sometimes the rubber will smoke)and this heat can pop the glass.
"You can't have a better tomorrow if your thinking about yesterday all the time"
Old 02-15-2002, 07:56 PM

Hello the glass is not like the rest of the cars. You do not have to cut the glass out. Just take the molding off the inside and it will release the windows. ROY
Old 02-16-2002, 04:15 PM

Yes, your right ROY but when a rear glass for alot of 40's &50's cars goes for $400.00+ when you can find one---you beat & kick all you want but when one is "stuck" I take a wire and cut the rubber----just trying to give some less experienced guys some constructive "ideas"--if you'd rather like you put it--"I normally stay on the other side of the Board"--Paul
Old 02-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

thanks for the ideas guys. I did manage to get the side rear glass out after i cut around the weatherstripping. The edge was kind of painted over, but once i got that broke the glass literally fell right out of the window. On the rear glass though, i ended up cutting the rubber. I tried and tried to push it thru but it just wasn't happening.

Thanks,

John B.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

AFTER SPENDING MORE THAN 30 YEARS ON THE GLASS BUSINESS I THINK I'LL CORRECT A CPL OF YOU GUYS, THATS IF YOU DON'T MIND.

FIRST OF ALL WHENEVER YOU TALK ABOUT REAR WINDOW IN A CAR EVEN GOING WAY BACK THERE WERE TEMPERED GALSS GUYS NOT LAMINATED LIKE YOU FIND IN A WINDSHIELD AND ALL SIDE GLASS UP TO ABOUT 1962 THIS IS WHEN THEY STARTED CURVING SIDE DOOR GLASSES, NOW WHEN THEY DID THAT THOSE GLASSES WERE ALL TEMPERED. WHAT YHAT ACTUALLY MEAN IS THEY START WITH A REGULAR PC OF 1/8 - 3/16 OR WHATHAVE YOU AND HEAT TEMPER THE GLASS MAKING IT VERY STRONG SO THIS IS WHY THE GUY PUSHING A BACK WINDOW OUT 454 DIDN'T BREAK IT. IF HE TRIED THAT WITH LAMINATED GLASS HIS FEET WOULD BE HANGING OUT THE FRONT OF THE WINDSHIELD.

ALL CARS UP TO THE EARLY 60 HAD LAMINATED SAFETY GLASS IN ALL WINDOWS ACCEPT THE REAR WINDOW.

TODAY ALL GLASS BUT THE WINDSHIELD IS TEMPERED. WHY YOU ASK ISN'T THE WINSHIELD MADE TEMPERED IF IT'S SO GOOD? THINK WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN A CRASH IF YOUR HEAD HIT THE TEMPERED GLASS, MAYBE A BROKEN NECK..

ANYWAY THAT MY CLASS ON AUTO GLASS FOR TODAY

BOMO
Old 02-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

the wrecking yard way: when i was younger we used a sharp,thin flexible putty knife to cut the rubber away. tempered glass we sprayed deisel or wd 40 to soften the glass putty, then cut through the putty from the inside, sliding the putty knife towards the outside of the window edge, the oil softens the putty and lubes the putty knife as you slide it along the glass. it's easier done on a warm day. push gently as you cut, you'll feel the window loosen.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:13 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

36 Ford Coupe door glass

Any tips on removal of subject?....You can't even see the glass from the inside of the door. Does it come out the top some how?

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.