Glasspack vs. 40 series - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Glasspack vs. 40 series

which gives off better sound which is louder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 PM

In my opinion glasspack is louder but i hate the derby car sound they make. I like my 40 series flowmasters a lot, loud but not to loud, and less resonance
Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 PM

have glasspacks on my ford, sounds like **** but is super loud

have a 40 on my chev, sounds awesome and is still really loud.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

I have been told that the glass packs are horrable for performance and act like a cork in your exaust. Its just my opinion but I think you should worry more about performance rather then sound. Dont get me wrong, I love a nice big exaust, But I rather have GO then SHOW/ SOUND. Thats just my opinion though, its YOUR car after all
Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

The last truck I had, had glasspacks on it. I never knew what it sounded like as an "outsider', since I was always driving it. The day I sold it was the first time I heard it...and it was being driven away...forever . Realized at that moment that it didn't sound like a typical car/truck with glasspacks. Under a typical/stock car, glasspacks sound like crap ("blatting" sound). But combined with the right engine set-up/exhaust system, it can sound pretty good.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have 3 chamber Flowmasters on my AVATAR car. When they were new, they droned. Seems to be gone now - and they are getting nice and rumble-y. I do have an 'H' pipe to cancel some of the harshness out as well. My last glass packs were on an old Ford Torino wagon with a nice 351C. They lasted about 2 weeks - gawdawfull loud - then turbos were installed. Great sounding then.

Dave W
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I have 3 chamber Flowmasters on my AVATAR car. When they were new, they droned. Seems to be gone now - and they are getting nice and rumble-y. I do have an 'H' pipe to cancel some of the harshness out as well. My last glass packs were on an old Ford Torino wagon with a nice 351C. They lasted about 2 weeks - gawdawfull loud - then turbos were installed. Great sounding then.

Dave W
Dave were the turbos thrush?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 PM

I've ran alot of different mufflers, exaust is usually the first thing I do to a car lol. In my experience at least 50% of what they sound like is exaust system design & size. I have 3" exaust(w H-pipe) on one of my cars with 40's that dump in front of the axle and it sets off car alarms in the Wal-mart parking lot with its resonance. Then on my K5 I have 2 1/2" pipes w 40's and dumps and it purrs like a kitten, I was actually disapointed at how quiet it was. I dont run an H-pipe on that one.

With glasspacks I've found that length plays key role. My 1st set I wanted loud so I got some 18"ers...very noisy but crackled good under acceleration. I had the same basic setup in a pickup, but w 24"ers and while it wasnt as loud at idle I thought it sounded way better when you got on it. More the "glasspack" sound...

Oh, & as a side note most glasspacks have a 2" core no matter what the bushing dia is(hence the term "cork" lol). AFAIK all 40's have a 2 1/2" hole in the baffle no matter what bushing size(but there may be variences on either)

If I was doing all new exaust I would go for 40's simply 'cause I like the sound alot better and they last forever. If I went glasspacks I'd go at least 20-24", the 18's sucked IMHO.

BTW I just put 3" Spintech Pro-shootouts on my street truck...talk about F-ing LOUD, I welded up all the pipe, took her for a spin & my brains just about ran out of my ears from the resonance. I added some side exiting pipes(it had turndowns under the bed) and that seemed to cure that problem but still Xtremely loud. Sounds good though! lol

Later guys- John
Old 06-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

I know everyone has their preference, but I enjoyed a pair of these on my 85 Monte Carlo SS. http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=racebullet I put those on to replace a set of Thrush, and they sounded alot better.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 PM

there going under a 85 monte carlo with a built 383 stroker my biggest thing is them being loud at an idle
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 PM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

383 and glasspacks, definitly loud. Flowmaster 40's would make that puppy purr
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

I enjoy the Super 40 Flowmaster on my 1980 Z28. Sounds nice deep and throaty but is a bit loud in the car. If you want interior noise to be lower, try the deltaflow 40's. You can go to flowmaster's website and listen to the different mufflers they offer yourself. The 85 Monte I had, had a stock 305 motor so the dynomax bullets werent overpowering. Good luck on your search.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 PM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

I have a 305 in my 86 C-10 with bolt ons and it sounds nasty, well to me. I have 40 series flows. I had turbos at first but the cab was very loud. Flows are quiet inside the cab
Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

WOW! I'm downright shocked how many of you like the flowmasters. I find them metallic and annoying sounding, and most drone and resonate at midrange rpm's. The super 40's sound significantly different then all the older designs, and are more mellow sounding then the rest, even then the deltaflow, 50 and 70 series mufflers. FWIW, a lot of their designs can be super restrictive, it's not uncommon to loose HP with them.

Longer glasspacks generally sound pretty good, shorter ones can have annoying qualities, but work really well with setups that have other pieces in the exhaust that cut down noise (converters, turbos...). They flow fine as long as you make sure that you have full size flow tubes.

FWIW, I generally dynomax ultraflow welded mufflers in applications where performance is the primary concern (basically a straight through design like a glasspack but with a larger case that controls annoying noises better), and Hooker Aerochambers sound absolutely awesome (and still flow almost as well as a straight through setup).
Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
Dave were the turbos thrush?
They were Walker's

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.