Glasspacks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2003, 07:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Glasspacks

I want to put duels with cats on my 92 chevy (350ci stock V8) but I'm undecided on the mufflers. My idle rpm is 600, and cruisin' is 1,100-2,200, I am really considering glass packs. I want something that is not really loud or annoying. Are glasspacks a wise choice? If so what brand is the best?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Re: Glasspacks

Quote:
Originally posted by dannimo
I want to put duels with cats on my 92 chevy (350ci stock V8) but I'm undecided on the mufflers. My idle rpm is 600, and cruisin' is 1,100-2,200, I am really considering glass packs. I want something that is not really loud or annoying. Are glasspacks a wise choice? If so what brand is the best?
I wouldnt personaly go with glass packs, they resonate and are very loud...I like flowmaster mufflers and then maybe those chrome 3" tips, sounds good and still isnt overly to loud, just my .02
Old 06-18-2003, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Glasspacs have a sort-of special sound that's different from Flomasters or other "modern" mufflers. If you're looking for something really retro they might be the way to go. They blow out easier than FMs or Dynomaxs so you're taking your chances. They will give you lots of resonance when you're engine braking, especially if you use smallish pipes like we used to have (under 2"). Just a matter of preference. Check out some of the many threads on muffler choices for some good links.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

The only way to get quiet glasspacks is to use two long ones on each side. A crossover of some sort may help also. They still blat at you a bit when you let off the gas, but not nearly as bad as singles. If you retain the cats, the single glasspacks are not bad at all.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Just run the cats with out the mufflers, a lot of trucks around here running around that way , not a bad sounding exhaust, not loud or cracking sounding. The cats make Dam Good mufflers! And you can add the mufflers if you don't like the sound!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Hey, mine's paid for, Punk.

I just put dual glasspacks on my van not too long ago and I like the sound. They really scream at higher revs. Not too beefy like flowmasters are in idle range. They flow really good though. Then again we don't have smog control up here so bye bye cats!!!

$20 a peice at schuck's. They're called cherry bombs.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:59 PM

Yeah, that's true, but only of the older pellet style convertors. I think the monolithic ones on newer vehicles are straight through, and would be pretty loud.

Not sure which would be on a 92 pickup though.....
Old 06-19-2003, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

I agree with roys63, cats and pipes or just pipes, i left the cats on my 97f150 its kind of popy engine braking, the 75 is 3 in from the manifold to the bumper real deep rumble. Its all personal prefference as long as the law permits.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

I am talking about the newer trucks with OEM converters. Most of the fords here have no mufflers, and the new Dodges sound good to and i don't like loud exhaust! they have laws for converters but u don't have to have a muffler even for state inspection here in NC but you do need some kind of noise control. Theres a Muffler shop here that does custom exhaust and most jobs he does have no mufflers or installs flowmasters. But do what you want to do and have fun doing it or having it done.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:14 AM

gotta love those glasspacks. My brothers both hate them. They say they're both loud and annoying. I theink they sound rowdy.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:09 PM

Thanks guys. With two cats and two long glasspacks for the exhaust, how loud would that be? Not factory cats but the cheapest small cats from the muffler shop. B/c I like the deep rumble of flowfasters and others, but I want something differrent but still cool and aggressive, to give my truck a little attitude. Rather than the fake duel exhaust, two pipes out the muffler, it has on it now. Being a V8, that helps the sound alot.

PS
Anybody have links to sound clips of glasspacks on a
V8, better yet a GM/Chevy 350c.i.?
Dan

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.