Glide 10 clutch forward drum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Glide 10 clutch forward drum downside

I have tried to use one of these and had a problem.

When they made the drum to accept more clutches (it has to be used with a cut piston and a hub that is deep enough to hold all 10) ( not a problem) the pocket the piston fits in is very shallow so it has a LOT less movement available to engauge the clutches. This means the clutch pack has to have a lot less clearance or the piston will extend too far and the outer rubber piston ring will pop out and hangup the piston.

The piston only has about .125 of movement or the ring will pop out. This can be changed about .040 by cutting the pads off the back of the stock piston to allow it to sit flat against the back of the pocket. Another problem that can occur on the stock piston is interference with the pads on the clutch side of the piston face hitting the deep hub and not allowing the clutch disks to have full pressure. I didn't have this problem but it can happen with different hub/piston combos.

Just because it is made for 10 clutches, you don't have to use 10. It can be stacked with as many steels to takeup for missing disks. The more fiber disks you use the greater the drag will be. 6 disks will hold 1100 hp with 225 lbs pressure.

The reason I'm dragging up this old thread is because it's one of the only ones that came up under google under powerglide direct drum horsepower.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

jyro,

i split out your post since the OP of the old thread has not logged in since 2009. Perhaps he found the answer he was looking for.

I use these drums you mention each day. All the items that need to be checked you list , each one of them can cause a failure if clearance is not watched.

I use the Sonnax aluminum piston for the 10 clutch drum with custom drive hub

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.