Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Glock .45 opinions?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
The pictures of the rounds shot into wet phone books proves nothing IMHO. The FBI ballistics tests through two layers of denim into ballistics gel are much more realistic. Two rounds came out on top as far a penetration and expansion. One was the Hornady Critical Duty and the other was the Speer Gold Dot +P. Both maintained integrity through auto galss and expanded almost 2X their original size.

Vince
I decided on the Glock 22C .40 S&W. For me it makes more sense to be able to shoot both .40 and 9mm from the same gun than it does to buy another .45 just because it can take the .50 GI conversion (although the cheaper-to-do .45 Super conversion was interesting). The .50 GI set up costs well over $600 after all's said and done, and at >$2.00 a round (for the full-zoot round), it's not something I would be plinking with! There are factory rounds available that are about $1.25/pop, but that still adds up fast considering I use at least a box of 100 .45 ball ammo every time out...

And the more I see that .50 GI round, it looks 'staged', almost too neatly opened up to have been shot into anything, IMO. But if that's actually how it expands after having been fired into a body- well, the photo speaks volumes.

(NOTE: I agree that wet phone books tell little. Having just looked into this a bit more, the manufacturer of the bullet shows a ballistic gel result that looks good. That is, until you read that the gel was just above freezing, and the bullet was traveling almost 1300 fps! Bogus, IMHO- the expansion into a human wouldn't be anything at all like the photos. "Test": 50 GI CHP)

FWIW I keep Speer GD in my early Springfield Armory 1911 (made in Illinois), it likes the 230 grain version best. I haven't seen expansion that good out of them (I'm guessing 2X expansion was through the auto glass mentioned) but it's still a good solid round w/proven stopping power, and will be the first thing I try in the .40 S&W.