Glock .45 opinions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Glock .45 opinions?

I recently got a head's up from a buddy about a used Glock 21 (.45 ACP, full sized). I had been looking for one ever since I heard of a conversion available to shoot the .45 Super round from it.

Turns out there are several conversion calibers that can be used w/ the Glock 21:

1. .45 ACP
2. .45 ACP +P
3. .45 Super
4. .460 Rowland
5. 10MM
6. .400 Corbon
7. .40 Super
8. .50 GI

But damn, it a Glock ugly or what? I doubt I'll ever get used to the looks of the 'Tupperguns', but there's little denying their efficiency. There are a few brands that use a stainless slide that look pretty good, though.

The image below shows the bullet expansion when shot into a pile of wet phone books at 17 feet distance. All were shot from concealable-sized guns (read short barrels). Unfortunately the .45 Super wasn't among them, but the .50 GI stands out, I'd say:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
JS-70

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Your .45ACP wil do the trick. Outstanding stopping power. The Glocks are almost foolproof and never fails. Ugly yes, but unholster that baby on the street, you'll get thier attention and hopefully you'll never have to pull the trigger.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Besides the looks- which I can get around- the idea of a double action only autoloader seemed just wrong to me, having been raised on 1911's and such. But after using one a few times, I found I almost forgot about it.

I sure like the looks of the Beretta/Taurus, tho. Double/single action, all stainless, rail, and looks like a gun and not a hammer:

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-25-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Ugly works

Yes, the glock is not pretty. But, for my personal safety I'm NOT going for style points. Sigs are better looking and have always worked for me. Defense wise ugly gets the job done!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I collect Guns too, (but am a traditionalist)-why not go with the original? I have a couple of Colt 1911's, and they have never failed me yet-you can't beat John Browning's first design-my favorite is my stainless Combat Commander (you can't beat a Stainless Gun)-

I am with you on the Glock thing though-
Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Guns are like women... Everybody likes something different. Some like them skinny and some not so skinny. I have 5 Glocks and love them all. But I dont think I've ever met a pistol I didnt like in some way. I wish I was rich and could have 1 of everything The 23 is my favorite.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I'm seeing a LOT of non-Colt .45 1911-type pistols. Turkish 1911's are everywhere (and some get good reviews), as well as from the Philippines (Armscor who makes Rock Island), Brazil, Slovakia, Israel, Canada and yes, China .

One of the best mass produced 1911 makers is supposed to be Kimber (USA, never shot one). The custom 1911's are popular, but cost too much for what and how I use a handgun.

Turkish guns in general have gotten better according to gun fans. Buds has a couple brands from there- Girsan (1911 types) and Canik (CZ clones), both get good press for the most part, and are in the $400-$500 range.

Just found a Glock 22C (factory compensated .40 S&W), under $500. I'm VERY tempted. Easy to convert to 9mm or .357 SIG and even have a .22 rimfire slide/barrel assembly available.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Last photo:

X2 for the traditional 1911. I have kind of soured on polymer guns. I have several a Ruger LCP and a Taurus PT709 Slim. The Taurus has been back to the repair facility three times for FTE issues so I no longer carry it. On the other hand my Browning Hi-Power has never failed me. The current round count is well over 40K. I shoot it very Tuesday at the range. Having said that I will not disparage Glock they are rock solid handguns.

The pictures of the rounds shot into wet phone books proves nothing IMHO. The FBI ballistics tests through two layers of denim into ballistics gel are much more realistic. Two rounds came out on top as far a penetration and expansion. One was the Hornady Critical Duty and the other was the Speer Gold Dot +P. Both maintained integrity through auto galss and expanded almost 2X their original size.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 03-25-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:

I carry and love my colt 1911. It makes me a better shot. I always carry when driving my hotrod. Had a guy on meth go crazy on me while I was stopped at a red light one day. No gun with me. I'll never make that mistake again.
My son even bought me a box of 45 acp Hornady Zombie rounds with the green inserts (just in case!)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I carry a glock 19 on daily basis. I'm not saying that itis my favorite gun but the accessories and holsters selections make it my preference. My favorite thing about the glocks though is that the are no safeties that have to be flipped on and off. This defers some people from purchasing glocks. But if your carrying a pistol for self defense and it's time for the gun to get loud there's a pretty good chance your gonna forget about that safety. Same thing with backstraps and thumb/finger breaks on holsters. Now with this urban myth of stopping power, a 9mm, .40, .45, etc. All are pretty close for penetration according to ballistics. You get into the whole weight to power calculations. A heavier load requires more powder to go roughly the same distance and penetrate as deep as the smaller loads. With the smaller caliber gun and same length grip you carry that many more round. Also if you carry daily spend some money on a quality holster and throw uncle mikes and the serpa holsters in the garbage. Five basic rules of a holster.......made to fit the gun, retention is done ofoff the gun (no snap straps or thumb/finger breaks), stays open after the gun is drawn, covers the trigger, and allows a full firing grip on the gun.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
The pictures of the rounds shot into wet phone books proves nothing IMHO. The FBI ballistics tests through two layers of denim into ballistics gel are much more realistic. Two rounds came out on top as far a penetration and expansion. One was the Hornady Critical Duty and the other was the Speer Gold Dot +P. Both maintained integrity through auto galss and expanded almost 2X their original size.

Vince
I decided on the Glock 22C .40 S&W. For me it makes more sense to be able to shoot both .40 and 9mm from the same gun than it does to buy another .45 just because it can take the .50 GI conversion (although the cheaper-to-do .45 Super conversion was interesting). The .50 GI set up costs well over $600 after all's said and done, and at >$2.00 a round (for the full-zoot round), it's not something I would be plinking with! There are factory rounds available that are about $1.25/pop, but that still adds up fast considering I use at least a box of 100 .45 ball ammo every time out...

And the more I see that .50 GI round, it looks 'staged', almost too neatly opened up to have been shot into anything, IMO. But if that's actually how it expands after having been fired into a body- well, the photo speaks volumes.

(NOTE: I agree that wet phone books tell little. Having just looked into this a bit more, the manufacturer of the bullet shows a ballistic gel result that looks good. That is, until you read that the gel was just above freezing, and the bullet was traveling almost 1300 fps! Bogus, IMHO- the expansion into a human wouldn't be anything at all like the photos. "Test": 50 GI CHP)

FWIW I keep Speer GD in my early Springfield Armory 1911 (made in Illinois), it likes the 230 grain version best. I haven't seen expansion that good out of them (I'm guessing 2X expansion was through the auto glass mentioned) but it's still a good solid round w/proven stopping power, and will be the first thing I try in the .40 S&W.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Nothing wrong with the .40 S&W. I have one (now my daughters gun) in a Sigma. Heavy trigger, but dead reliable. Over 3000 rounds through it. I am partial to the 1911 though. Two armscors(.45 and .38 super converted to 9mm) and a Kimber for carry plus numerous others. I hope you reload with todays ammo prices.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I don't see much cost savings reloading 9mm ammo. Maybe a Buck or two.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
I don't see much cost savings reloading 9mm ammo. Maybe a Buck or two.
I see significant savings and no availability problems. I shoot lead (not Glock friendly), not jacketed bullets. Currently I am still using bullets and primers bought before the glut.
9mm Lead round nose $55.50 per thousand
primers $30.00 per thousand
powder $22.00 per pound
cases Free

.0555 lead + .03 primer + .015 powder =.1005 each round or $10.05 per hundred rounds
Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I have an old RCBS press w/.45 ACP, .30-30, .38/.357 and 5.56 dies. Never was much of a 9mm fan (or .40 S&W for that matter) but recently that's changed for me, so I'll be adding them.

Thinking about getting into casting bullets, considering I'm going to be using an aftermarket .40-to-9MM conversion barrel- stock Glock barrels don't like cast lead. But if I can source decent cast bullets locally, I'll stock up- I do not mind paying someone to cast them as long as the quality is there and the price is reasonable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.