Gloss flames on suede car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Farfegnugen

Last journal entry: logo fun!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gloss flames on suede car

Well I have been searching through the JDBB and flames threads trying to find an answer to my question, but have not been able to find much for specifics...

I would like to paint my car using a suede black paint. I have read a lot about the John Deere Blitz Black and I don't think I want to use that particular paint, but I really like the color and amount of gloss (or lack of) that it has. I have also heard that it does not like to be topcoated with anything but JD paint, thus creating my next dilema. I want to put some flames on the car, but I want these to be high gloss. I don't want a noticeable "edge" between the flames and the suede black either, so is single stage out of the question?

I have heard fo using a flattening agent in the clear. If I did this and then only cut and buffed the flames could I get what I am looking for? Buffing only the flames may be very tough to do though...

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? I would prefer to use PPG as I have a local supplier. I also prefer to stay with acrylic enamel because I am most comfortable using it.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Try this technique on a test panel...spray your flame color 1st then tape out the design over the top and spray your black. After you peel it out if there's too much edge then try pinstriping the edge out in the same black with a brush to cover it in. That may satisfy the look you want. The black should cover very well with little build and may not need striping.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Exactly.
I bet you won't have much edge either especally if you lay a extra coat first along the transition area. Kinda depends on what paint you end up using.
Something else is to take a dull knife and run along the flame edge at a low angle to flatten it out before it hardens up.

Cool idea.
Man those flames out to jump right out at ya.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Farfegnugen

Last journal entry: logo fun!
Last photo:

I think see what you mean... So, I would shoot the colors I wanted my flames to be, clear coat, then tape the flames off, scuff, and shoot the black last.

Cool, that helps...

Should I use a black base and a clear with a flattening agent? This would probably create a lot of build and an edge on the flames.? Is there another product similar to JDBB that will work in a single stage type application to try and avoid the edge?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by VWFan; 06-06-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

just get some black acrylic urethane and add flattener to it. you local jobber should also have color chips for flat black this way you can pic out exactly what you want and he can mix it for you so your ready to go. on another note... i have not tried it personaly but heard of doing your gloss flames without the edge by shooting all flat black then mask for the flames and buff them out. i know you can buff a flat paint to a shine so it will work but it seems to me you would need to be real careful not to tear up the masking with the buffer. something to think about.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Thinking of this very same dilemma, I came up with this idea using bc/cc

lay down your flame color(s)
mask "in" your flames (flames covered)
lay down the black base
remove your flame masking
spray 2 wet coats of matting clear or clear with matt additive
let it dry
come back and mask "out" your flames (flames exposed)
scuff just the flames with gray scotchbright or a fine grit sandpaper
then 2 wet coats of flow clear.
Unmask, Use a mini-gun or airbrush to wet the edge of the flames with reducer to "melt" the edge.

The rest of the car will be under the matt clear, but the flames will be glossy because they were retoped with gloss clear.....there will be no edge at all after the melting with reducer, but you could always pinstripe anyways.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.