glowing #5 exh. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

If this is a Fel-Pro Permatorque Blue gasket you used(light blue w/dark blue stripes and thin steel shim in the center layer) you have the wrong gasket for an aluminum intake. That gasket is made for the expansion and contraction rates(due to heat) of cast iron to cast iron joints, it will often leak after being heated and cooled a few times using a higher expansion aluminum intake.

Correct gasket will be the Fel-Pro Printo-Seal(or equivilant from MR Gasket, Edelbrock, ROL), which is a black or grey fiber gasket w/ a blue, red, or orange silicone bead printed onto it, around all the ports

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
If this is a Fel-Pro Permatorque Blue gasket you used(light blue w/dark blue stripes and thin steel shim in the center layer) you have the wrong gasket for an aluminum intake. That gasket is made for the expansion and contraction rates(due to heat) of cast iron to cast iron joints, it will often leak after being heated and cooled a few times using a higher expansion aluminum intake.

Correct gasket will be the Fel-Pro Printo-Seal(or equivilant from MR Gasket, Edelbrock, ROL), which is a black or grey fiber gasket w/ a blue, red, or orange silicone bead printed onto it, around all the ports
ill check into the gaskets. DAMN! but it all makes sence. so ill chang it all out here soon and hope for the best.... this makes me sick..uggg!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23

The picture of the plugs doesn't tell the whole story, and the right way to read plugs involves being able to see the base of the ceramic INSIDE the threads. So anyone who gives you a reading based off of those pictures is just guessing. Reading plugs is an art and is difficult to do even with a magnifying glass on a sunny day, doing it right from a pic is almost impossible.
In some cases you would be correct. In this case however there is such a huge difference in the plugs it is quite obvious that there is an issue in the one cylinder. There is a night and day difference. He has one glowing header and one white plug from the same cylinder, I dont see how anyone can debate that that cylinder is lean. Cam timing, ignition timing would affect all cylinders, not just 1. Plug reading is an art under some conditions but this one is pretty obvious.
I personally dont like his choice of plugs either

Chet
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

SOMEhow, #5 is burning lean. I'd be looking for an intake leak on that cylinder...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

You need more timing. big cams need lots of timing at idle. 18 isn't enough.

all the cylinders are getting hot (not just #5).

try 25 at idle and see what happens.

after you set the timing, adjust idle mixture screws for highest rpm (highest vacuum)

a lean cylinder will not glow the header red at idle.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

read this

http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-56.html
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
More for Less Racer

I'll be the second to tell you to get those goofy "gimmick" plugs out of there. There is no advantage to them over a conventional plug, they just lighten you wallet and confuse tuning issues.

Lean mixture can glow a header tube...if it is so lean that it doesn't burn correctly in the chamber and is still burning when the exhaust valve is open. Plug shows so lean it may be a virtual misfire situation in that hole. Back to the possible gasket situation sucking air.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM

not glowing at idle only at hwy rpm's. i found out that i used the wrong gasket i guess. i used the felpro with the steel inside. so i just ordered up (felpro 1205) and they will be here in the morning. after further investigation all but the front tubes were glowing at that rpm just #5 was the first and brightest. i checked with lights on low in garage. sorry about the plugs..i cant please everybody.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Since you've already got the plugs, and they're working, I wouldn't loose any sleep over them...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.