glowing #5 exh. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

glowing #5 exh.

okay guy i need help figuring this out. 355 alum heads and #5 glows at 2200rpm timing at 18 running trick flow 420hp top end . any sugestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

it's very hot, don't touch it, it doesn't get adequate airflow to cool it.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
it's very hot, don't touch it, it doesn't get adequate airflow to cool it.
Makes sence not to touch it...glad you warned me..lol! i am running electric fan and it wasnt on so it makes sence for the airflow. i noticed it at first start up with choke on at high idle.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Check #5 valve system...valves, springs, push rods, lifters, cam lobes, valve adjustment. Sounds like #5 is running lean...for some reason...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM

i went through all the valves again the same way and the seemed to be right on the money. i did noticed that when i had my wife drive it hard and when she got off the gas it blew out smoke on the drivers side. i pulled the pluggs and #5 did look leaner than the rest.???left to right.#1,#3,#5. this was after driving around a few blocks [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check for vacuum leak at the manifold /#5. If ok do compression ck. or leak down. Also exhaust header leak at 5 could cause this cond. (I won't comment on you choice of plugs!!)
Old 10-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Often times the headers will glow due to a rich condition or late timing which causes the fuel to be ignited in the header tube. More often than not it is a rich not a lean condition that causes headers to glow. It is possible the exhaust valve is not seating allowing air/fuel to be burnt in the header pipe. This would appear lean because there is not as much fuel/air in the combustion chamber.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
Often times the headers will glow due to a rich condition or late timing which causes the fuel to be ignited in the header tube. More often than not it is a rich not a lean condition that causes headers to glow. It is possible the exhaust valve is not seating allowing air/fuel to be burnt in the header pipe. This would appear lean because there is not as much fuel/air in the combustion chamber.
thats a good idea. i noticed it did it with choke on at high idle. elec fan wasnt on yet. so i adjusted fan to come on early as poss. 100 degrees. im 18 degrees inital with 36 total with 10 degrees of vacume. i went down hwy at and above high idle speeds for a few miles and then pulled over proped hood quickly and i didnt see itgloing then. hmmmm??
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 AM

Last photo:

Only time I had red hot headers was from a massive vacuum leak....so it was lean. Since it's only 1 cylinder, maybe your intake gasket is sucking air around the intake port.

If it is too rich, I can see that happening too, but it might need air to burn in the exhaust, so maybe your exhaust gasket is leaking?

Basically, as it is only one cylinder, I'd be checking the gaskets.

If you have a IR temp gun, you could measure it the temp of each header pipe. Maybe the others are close, but not quite enough to make things red. In that case, the problem could be traced back to the carb and all cylinders are running lean.

Being used to Fords (355?), I'm not sure where #5 is on your engine, but do you have a PCV valve going into the manifold handy to #5? Maybe it's leaking air in.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

exhaust glows from fuel burning in the pipes.

overly rich or retarded timing will cause it.

however, since it is only doing it on one cylinder, you most likely have an issue on that one cylinder.

maybe a flat cam?

what size cam? if you have a cam in the 240 degree range (at 0.050) then you need more timing. 25 at idle.

are you saying 18 degrees at 2200 rpms? if so, not nearly enough.

look like funky spark plugs. Try some regular style plugs. (AC Delco).

do a compression check. Maybe you have a burnt exhaust valve or a valve that doesn't seal 100%.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
exhaust glows from fuel burning in the pipes.

overly rich or retarded timing will cause it.

however, since it is only doing it on one cylinder, you most likely have an issue on that one cylinder.

maybe a flat cam?

what size cam? if you have a cam in the 240 degree range (at 0.050) then you need more timing. 25 at idle.

are you saying 18 degrees at 2200 rpms? if so, not nearly enough.

look like funky spark plugs. Try some regular style plugs. (AC Delco).

do a compression check. Maybe you have a burnt exhaust valve or a valve that doesn't seal 100%.
18 degree initial at idle 36 degree at 2800 rpm. plugs are E3. New motor with the 420 hp trick flow top end kit. everything is new and balanced non roller 350.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

That cylinder is lean, the hot header and pure white plug both prove that. I would bet you have an intake leak on that cylinder. If the valve wasn't opening enough it would not effect the mixture just how much of the mixture would get into the cylinder, if it was rich the plug would be black. Late timing is not the issue because it would be across the board, not just 1 cylinder. Put a vacuum gauge on it and I bet you will see it bouncing a little.
What type of intake gaskets did you install.

Chet
Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
That cylinder is lean, the hot header and pure white plug both prove that. I would bet you have an intake leak on that cylinder. If the valve wasn't opening enough it would not effect the mixture just how much of the mixture would get into the cylinder, if it was rich the plug would be black. Late timing is not the issue because it would be across the board, not just 1 cylinder. Put a vacuum gauge on it and I bet you will see it bouncing a little.
What type of intake gaskets did you install.
i used the felpro blue gasgets. i just got home and its 30 degrees out so i started it at high idle and watched it and #5 got hot first ans #3 started to on the side closest to 5 and 7 started too as well but not bad. the other bank i noticed it was starting to glow too. the front cylinders didnt. do you think the lack of airflow is causing it to build up heat too? i didnt notice it this summer. but the garage is dark and i can see it clearly now...any sugestions? i hear that with the rpm airgap and alum heads i shouldnt use those gaskets????
Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

What degree did you install the cam at? If it is too late or too early it might cause this.

Lets just assume that all the cylinders are running hotter than they should...did you try a higher octane fuel? The picture of the plugs doesn't tell the whole story, and the right way to read plugs involves being able to see the base of the ceramic INSIDE the threads. So anyone who gives you a reading based off of those pictures is just guessing. Reading plugs is an art and is difficult to do even with a magnifying glass on a sunny day, doing it right from a pic is almost impossible.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
What degree did you install the cam at? If it is too late or too early it might cause this.

Lets just assume that all the cylinders are running hotter than they should...did you try a higher octane fuel? The picture of the plugs doesn't tell the whole story, and the right way to read plugs involves being able to see the base of the ceramic INSIDE the threads. So anyone who gives you a reading based off of those pictures is just guessing. Reading plugs is an art and is difficult to do even with a magnifying glass on a sunny day, doing it right from a pic is almost impossible.
cam installed strait up. i played with the timming just now and from 10 to all the way up to 25 degrees initial she still got hot. so i think i best switch out the intake gaskets and try this again. i run 91 octane. but i am also wondering about the air movement? will the lack of cause this issue too? the fan is shrouded and electric. i know it doesnt move the air a mec fan does i can tell that so im just wondering???

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.