Hot Rod Forum banner

Glue Question Rear Deck Fabric

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
My A body car has a thin sheet of plywood behind the rear seat just under the rear window. I think this is called the rear deck? This is where the rear speakers mount flat. I have replaced the old plywood with new and want to cover it with a fake leather fabric from the fabric store. My question is which glue should I use to glue down the fabric to the plywood? Also should I glue the entire surface of the wood or just glue the outer flat edges?

bt

#2 ·
The area you're talking about is called a package shelf. It would not normally have had plywood there, but that will work. You don't have to glue it if you don't want to, you could also staple the vinyl down. If you want to glue it, use HHR (high heat resistant) top and trim contact adhesive like DAP or 3-M. You can do it either way, glue the whole thing down, or just glue around the edges, whichever is easier for you.

#3 ·
What you need is DAP Landau top adhesive. Do not use any rattle can adhesive from the local stores unless it specifically states for high temp use. Do not consider 3M #77 as it will not hold when it gets hot. Using the DAP adhesive spray both surfaces and let dry for ten minutes then starting from the center lay the fabric out toward the ends pressing down as you smooth it out.

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.