Hot Rod Forum banner

Gm 10 bolt

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Pantaz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, another question to throw you off guard. Ive got some very good people helping me now build my project falcon, they have 9in's laying around but they are opting to stick a gm 10 bolt in my car, now im putting together a mean 466 ford motor. I know true for guys would never use anything but a 9in, but the guys suggested i go with this rear end. Its been narrowed and fits my car and to my knowledge has been gone threw, now the question being, can a gm 10 bolt hold its own with my 466? Cam is .552 intake .562 exaust with a rebuilt stock c6 trans. I just dont feel comfortable using it when al i hear is how the 9in is the king of rear ends. I dont want the rear end to fail on me

#2 ·
Some may disagree with me on this. But I would say the stock c-6 is the weak link in that set up. Also a lot of how something holds up is maintenance and driver. Anything can be torn up by the right person. I had a pretty hot 460 BB in a 72 f-100 with several trans combos and then only stock trans I got to last was an old cast iron case 3 speed. The rear was a factory 9" with a full spool and 4:11 gears. The c-6 lasted about a week in stock form.

Also I personally don't like the c clip design GM used. However, there were some 10 bolt rear ends with bolted axles like a 9" that came in late 60's early 70' Buick, olds, and Pontiac. But I think the parts are getting hard to find.

Bottom line. It is your build, your money, so do what you want not what they try to sell you because it is cheaper.

Kelly

#5 ·
As for the trans, I think a C-6 would hold up with the right converter and reasonable use. I tore one to shreds, but it was in a heavy truck, with a spool, drag radials, and a not so smart driver that flogged it constantly for about a week before it self destructed. So my experience is most likely operator failure. Also the motor dyno'd just shy of 650 HP, rough weight on the truck would be (guessing) 4,000+ lbs, so I was definitely pushing the limits of the stock, junk yard trans.

On to the mustang, If the body and interior are reasonable and it is a factory V-8 car, it sounds like a decent price. If it used to be a four cylinder car, that doesn't make it worthless, just make sure everything was upgraded to V-8 specs and they didn't chop it up under the hood to put the V-8 in. I have seen a few real big messes made doing that swap.

Kelly

#6 ·
Everything depends on what has been done. In 76 I had a 10 bolt in my Firebird...326, 4 speed car with a 308 posi. I opted for a well warmed over 400 with 4:88's (I know now that the 4:88's where over kill for a torque monster that the 400 was) but, the engine was so strong and the car for the day was set up to hook up real well. I tore the leaf spring perches right off the passenger side leaf spring. The actual differential stood up, the perches didn't. I changed out the axles tubes, reinforced the perches and drove the car hard for the next few years.

So it's kind of a general question that begs for more information, exactly what did they do to the 10 bolt. The engine you have now has more power than what a standard 10 bolt can handle, if it hasn't been beefed up where it counts, a Ford 9 inch usually is a more reliable rear end.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.