gm 10 bolt posi- rebuildable?? pic inside - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gm 10 bolt posi- rebuildable?? pic inside

stolen picture, but i have this same carrier, rear was in a 95 chevy caprice 9c1. is this rebuildable?? one wheel peel =

thanks for any info

eazy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM
More for Less Racer

If it is an Auburn diff, and it looks to be(pics of each end would help alot ), it is toast, non-rebuildable. Auburn Gear has an exchange program instead of offering rebuildable units, you might want to check into it for details.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

thaanks, I took a few pictures of my actual unit in the car, but have been searching for a little while, and found ennough good info that I was pretty sure of what I had/have... still reading now, thanks for the info.. will look into it (however, I have read a few stories of people who claimed to have "helped" a lacking posi by buying new springs from auburn... still reading up on that

thanks again, and anyone else for info

eazy
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeazy-e
thaanks, I took a few pictures of my actual unit in the car, but have been searching for a little while, and found ennough good info that I was pretty sure of what I had/have... still reading now, thanks for the info.. will look into it (however, I have read a few stories of people who claimed to have "helped" a lacking posi by buying new springs from auburn... still reading up on that

thanks again, and anyone else for info

eazy
Ericnova is correct,that is a Auburn unit and it's non rebuildable. You can get a spring kit and it may help,but if the case and the side gear are losing the taper,the spring kit won't help for long. You may be money ahead in the long run to get a better unit.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

same question for my 7.5 posi

the "open" side of the carrier appears the same as the auburn shown above, however; instead of an "access hole", one side of the carrier is solid. this unit also has a bolt on end cap
rebuildable? junk? any input appreciated..

eazy

Old 08-02-2009, 09:22 PM
More for Less Racer

Also an Auburn, just the design they use for the 7.5" rear. It is not rebuildable either. None of the Auburn diffs are rebuildable IIRC.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the info eric..
Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I rebuild Auburns (SureGrip) for Mopars by machining the face of the cones when they wear and bottom out. If the GM Auburns are similar, they are a cone type limited slip diff, right? The Mopar carrier has two halves that unbolt. The side gears ride against cones and are splined together. Once the cones wear down some, they 'face up' with the machined 'cup' in the side of the carrier and machining about .030" from each cone allows them to grab again. For the most part, I generally don't replace the springs and they worked very well that way but I have elected to add .010 shims to each side between the side gears and the cone. This makes them pretty tight. So long as the SG unit is in good shape otherwise, remachining them works very well.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
More for Less Racer

Good to know , nobody's ever said anything about remachining them, and I've never had one apart to see what it looked like when it doesn't work correctly. Good info.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
I rebuild Auburns (SureGrip) for Mopars by machining the face of the cones when they wear and bottom out. If the GM Auburns are similar, they are a cone type limited slip diff, right? The Mopar carrier has two halves that unbolt. The side gears ride against cones and are splined together. Once the cones wear down some, they 'face up' with the machined 'cup' in the side of the carrier and machining about .030" from each cone allows them to grab again. For the most part, I generally don't replace the springs and they worked very well that way but I have elected to add .010 shims to each side between the side gears and the cone. This makes them pretty tight. So long as the SG unit is in good shape otherwise, remachining them works very well.
The Auburns cone is the case itself. I'm not sure you could do any machining and get it to work. If the side gear and case where machined,the side gear would sit lower in the case half,thus having to much clearance for the pinion gears riding on the side gear. I think if you tried to shim the auburn under the side gear,it would push the side gear out of the taper and you would have no taper fit between the side gear and case. If someone could figure out a way to do it,they would make some money on that idea.

It sounds like the case your speaking of is the spicer unit that bolt's together.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Actually, I have to make a correction...the Mopar unit that's similar to the Auburn was made by Borg Warner but is called the Auburn unit. The Spicer unit for the Mopar 8 3/4 looks exactly like the one for the Dana 60 but the Dana is much bigger. It's called the Power Lock for both...not to be confused with the Track Lock like is used in the later model 60's and 9 1/4's. The unit for the 8 3/4 is considered a throw away when used up too. I had some pictures posted on photodump.com of an Auburn unit that was apart but they seem to have changed hands or I'd post some pics of it. The side gears in these do not grip anything but do put pressure against the cone clutch or clutch cup which makes it grip the carrier. The case acts as the 'fit' that the cone or cup presses into with the O.D of the cup making contact. I'll see if I can dig up the parts for some pics later. A buddy has one apart that I was going to work on but it was too far gone to fix....
This pic is the only one I have right now of a complete carrier.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Thats the problem with the modern auburn unit's,there is no cone or clutch hub. The side gear is tapered and fits into the carrier that is tapered. If there was a hub between them, I could see how machining and shimming would work. I would like to see your pics if you find them.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Auburn won't exchange a GM diff. The GM diff is an Auburn-style, but not necessarily made by Auburn, so they can't exchange it.

They're a fine posi, but because they can't be rebuilt, I just have an Eaton clutch-style ready to bolt in for my 96 Impala SS. My stock posi is showing its age

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.