GM 10-bolt Support Cover Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM 10-bolt Support Cover Help

Help

I'm upgrading the posi carrier, axles, ring/pinion, etc of my 8.5" 10-bolt this winter. I've seen those housing support covers and stud kits.

What do they do? Do I need one?

Looks like they are about $150. is it worth it?

I have a 72 nova street car with 550 HP BB Chevy and auto trans.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 PM

not sure if the cover will help. with 550hp. i think i would put my money into a stronger rearend. you could get a 12 bolt or even a 9" ford that would handle the horsepower and not have to worry about breakage. a 10 bolt might last on the street, but put a set of slicks on you vehicle and put it on the drag strip and parts will fly. strange engineering is located in elk grove or moser engineering over in portland indiana.

Last edited by tntracecars; 09-06-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntracecars
not sure if the cover will help. with 550hp. i think i would put my money into a stronger rearend. you could get a 12 bolt or even a 9" ford that would handle the horsepower and not have to worry about breakage. a 10 bolt might last on the street, but put a set of slicks on you vehicle and put it on the drag strip and parts will fly. strange engineering is located in elk grove or moser engineering over in portland indiana.
I understand and appreciate your commentary and for the most part agree with it. I have however referenced about a dozen sources on this subject and about half of them say the beefed up 10-bolt 8.5 inch is sufficient for my street application. the other half say as you do, "get a 12-bolt or ford 9 inch" I am still undecided. Check out this article from Super Chevy Magazine.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...grade_install/

it talks about guys using the 8.5" 10-bolt and running 8's in the quarter consistently. You have to admit, that's worth thinking about before spending $2400 for the 12-bolt or ford 9 inch upgrade
Old 09-07-2006, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoy
Help

I'm upgrading the posi carrier, axles, ring/pinion, etc of my 8.5" 10-bolt this winter. I've seen those housing support covers and stud kits.

What do they do? Do I need one?

Looks like they are about $150. is it worth it?

I have a 72 nova street car with 550 HP BB Chevy and auto trans.
They are supposed reduce ring gear deflection (mines a 12bolt) I decided to give it try because of a heavy car (4200# me in it) 4speed with bbc at about 545hp@6100rpm (if I remember right? have to find dyno sheets) but have not ran with it yet ( still putting car back together) Also from your other post, I too was told to run with c-clips on the street because of leakage of kit. (I have dutchman axles). You could cut the axle housing ends off and weld on the aftermarket ones (moser has them). That would take care of the c-clips.
Hope this helps .
Old 09-07-2006, 02:19 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Imp SS
They are supposed reduce ring gear deflection (mines a 12bolt) I decided to give it try because of a heavy car (4200# me in it) 4speed with bbc at about 545hp@6100rpm (if I remember right? have to find dyno sheets) but have not ran with it yet ( still putting car back together) Also from your other post, I too was told to run with c-clips on the street because of leakage of kit. (I have dutchman axles). You could cut the axle housing ends off and weld on the aftermarket ones (moser has them). That would take care of the c-clips.
Hope this helps .
thanks buddy. I am considering what you said. I too am not sure yet about the C-Clip eliminators. I heard they leak also.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

I forgot to mention even though I have the low profile cover I still had to make more clearence for the panhard bar.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Imp SS
I forgot to mention even though I have the low profile cover I still had to make more clearence for the panhard bar.
send me some pics so I know what the heck you're talking about

lwallace@pcsoc.com
Old 09-10-2006, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

There's no Panhard bar on a Nova. Some cars use one to keep the body centered over the rear axle, but the leaf springs do that on a Nova.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.