GM 10bolt ID - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

GM 10bolt ID

I have a '76 10 bolt and don't know what it came from. It has: part no. WLP035D stamped into offside housing tube, 11-1/4" vented discs/staggered callipers, coil sprung, C-clip axles with 13/32" thick flanges, 5" PCD and 1/2" studs, irregular cover (scalloped at 9 and 3 o'clock) with 3-1/4" bolt spacing, 1-1/4" pinion nut, 2.42:1 ratio (open), 7/16" crown wheel bolts (8.5"?), 61.5" wide - axle flange to axle flange, impression of screwed on plate with 351 cast into centre and part no. 555475 stamped into rear edge of the offside brake mounting flange. I believe is '71-'76 Buick or Olds-F85, has type "P" housing with twin converging ribs. The width is right for my 68 Camaro project, but before adapting it and ordering rebuild parts I want/need to be sure what I'm ordering and I'd rather upgrade an 8.5" (with 3.73's, posi, etc) than the smaller stock unit. Would appreciate any help. Regards, Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I believe the twin converging ribs were characteristic of Pontiac. Also the 3.25" cover bolt spacing is indicative of a 7.5" ring gear. If I recall correctly the 'W' means Warren, Mich plant, the 'L' may indicate a limited slip rear, the 'P' is Pontiac. Or the 'LP' may indicate a gear ratio (hope others can help here). The 035 is the day of the year it was built, and the 'D' is day shift. GM had many coding systems for the differentials, and they varied in structure over the years - you would have to be sure of the year to get a correct decoding. Take the cover off the unit and read the stamping on the ring gear to get the real ratio if you haven't already done so. All of the above is from distant memory, so good luck to you.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

Here's a few link's with a bunch of info and pictures and measurements that may help you out. Let me know if any of it helps or not.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/10bolt-tech.htm
http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofdif.htm
http://www.quickperformance.com/Tech...us_measure.htm
http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspe...tml#Suspension
Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 AM

GM 10 bolt ID

Thanks to cucumber 1949 and 73 oldsman for replies and info on links. I've had cover off and crown is stamped 41-17 (2.42:1 ratio) GM 1176 (Nov '76) OUC (I have no idea). The quickp link suggests that '71-'76 full size cars were 5 on 5" PCD wheel stud pattern, but doesn't clarify make/model. I thought only Buick and Caddie had this stud pattern, do the '76 Olds and Pontiacs share this as well?? I'm kind of getting close to the ID, but not close enough yet (to start shelling $'s), but keep it coming folks, all help appreciated. Cheers from Down Under, Bob
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM

Last photo:

All '71-'76 full-size GM cars used the 5-on-5" pattern. Half-ton 2WD pickups also got the same pattern starting in '71.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 PM

Thanks jimfulco, at 55 I'm learnin' a little bit more each day, ain't it fun! Hang on, what did I come in here for?? cheers, Bob
Old 11-10-2006, 01:12 AM

Last photo:

I just now noticed your location, so all bets are off. I was talking about American cars.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:47 PM

The BOP rear is from US made vehicle, is definitely not an aussie 10bolt. So any further ID ideas appreciated. Is 62.5" disc to disc, made in 1976, has C-clip axles, 8.5 crown wheel with 7/16" LH thread bolts, irregular cover, sway bar bolted through bottom of lower trailing arms via bolted-in boxing channels. I suspect that because it's a 2.42:1 ratio carrier, It will require a spacer to fit 3.73's, is this correct?? Cheers Bob
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

I'm trying to think of what American GM cars came with rear disc brakes in '76 or early '77. All I can come up with is maybe some kind of Cadillac.

I just looked at the Cad history site, and it said the only '76 that had rear discs was the Eldorado, which was wrong-wheel-drive, so that one's out, but in '77, the Sevilles & Fleetwoods got them. The Sevilles had leaf springs, thus no control arms, so my guess would be a '77 Fleetwood.

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac

And yes on the spacer, or a series-3 carrier (for 2.73-up gears). GM's 3-series Posi carrier for 8.5" 28-spline is cast 410408N, in case you're looking.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

From the width it's an early A-body or B-body or larger.

Problem here too, I can't remember anything other than the Cadillac with rear discs, and those were mentioned as being FWD.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:36 AM

thanx M&M, I sometimes wonder "what did I deserve to do all this", or something like that. Interestingly, I've test fitted the (floating) calipers and the brackets and they bolt right up to both of the '77 (8.5) and the '68 (7.5) 10 bolt camaro housings and axles that I have. Sadly though they interfere with the stock '68 staggered shocks and the location of the caliper bleed screws will not allow them to be mounted in any other position without lots of rework. Incidentally, both brackets and calipers are identical, where the left (NS) mounts behind the axle and the right (OS) mounts in front. Also, on further inspection, the (single) pistons are huge and unlikely to work with my chosen front discs and master cyl., so I've decided to use the '77 camaro 8.5 housing and sell the BOP rear, the deeper I went the deeper it got. Thanks to all who contributed, its been an honour, the quest continues, to the next signpost and beyond! Cheers for now, Bob

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.