Hot Rod Forum banner

gm 1995-98 3.1L timing cover water leak issue

38K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  moonrunner1972 
#1 ·
anyone familiar with the 3.1L gm engines especially 95-98 years will know what a major PITa it is to get to and remove the frotn timing cover on these things.

well we got a 97 G/A in the shop right now that literally has somehow has every gasket in the sucker rot and leak

we did the head gaskets the other day and took car of the front left hand head gasket water leak there down the face of the block on that side

well it is now leaking out of right behind the belt tensioner where the two smaller bolts are by it that hold the cover to the face of the block.

one spot leaking drips constantly there

we are getitng fed up with this engine and the lady only drives it locally short trips and nothing more ever.

i have no idea what has caused this particular engine to be having so many issues with water and gaskets but we already have so many hours and hour sinto this thing and i am really thinking about trying stop leak in it for the timing cover gasket leak

i once fixed a 3" long crack in the block in a dodge 318 engine and it worked a miracle on it totally stopped it

it was the copper colored flakes kind though

im not sure which wpould be best to try on this particular engine, with aluminum heads and radiator etc

or if it even matters

what do you think ?

thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
well we ended up pulling the timing cover and doing it correctly.,

the repair guide showed that you had to remove the oil pan and suspension support and so much other parts that it would have been a huge job

but we did it by skipping pulling the oil pan and it went fine

car is done thank god finally omg

wow..

finally no water leaks from this thing.

she will be happy i hope

runs like a sewing machine just purrs and runs beautifully like brand new, way better than when it came to us for sure!
and no more leaks!!!

we are so done with this nightmare of a car

it goes back to the owner tonight yayyyyy

i have seen more of the insides of a '90s 3.1/3.4 than i ever want to see again for a very very very very VERY long time...

so many hours into this, an insane number really....

thanks

#4 ·
Timing Cover gasket without removing oil pan

I did the timing chain cover on my 96 Monte Carlo 3.1 without removing the oil pan after reading this post and everything went fine. The manual said I needed to do all that work but I did not have to. I had a coolant leak on the back coolant port of the timing cover. After removing the cover I removed the old gasket with a gasket scrapper from both the engine and the timing cover. I then used brake cleaner on a rag to clean the surfaces. I used HI Tack to stick the gasket to the engine and a bead of GM# 12346004 at the bottom of the gasket on each side where it touchs the oil pan. The manual says to use 1052080 but this has been superceeded by 12346004. Be sure to cut the bottom of the gasket to fit your engine first. I also used 12346004 on the 4 bolts by the coolant ports. Everything worked great. No coolant or oil leaks. So the answer is yes you can do the job without removing the oil pan if you are careful and the oil pan gasket is in good condition. My pan gasket had been changed not that long ago when some transmission work was done so it was in good shape. I hope this information will help someone else who comes across this post in the future.

#6 ·
I hope this information will help someone else who comes across this post in the future.
It's now the future and this helped me out, thanx! :thumbup:

The timing cover casting is flat on the bottom and does not hook around oil pan like they did on the RWD V6 and V8's. I was able to gently rock it back n forth and slide it out.

Attachments

#5 ·
3100 in a 99' Buick Century

Greetings all! I am getting ready to undertake this same repair on my 1999 Buick Century. Although I have the same front timing cover seal leak, the FSM does not mention the removal of the oil pan in the removal/repair process. As recommended by the FSM, I purchased a tube of GM sealant # 12346004 for the lower portion of the timing cover gasket where it mates to the oil pan. This is the new part number for the factory recommended sealant 1052080. I found it peculiar that the tube is labeled "thread locker with PFTE." I wanted to verify that this is the right product as the idea of doing the repair twice is very unappealing. BTW this is my 1st post. I look forward to enjoying the forum and participating in the fun.:thumbup:

#7 ·
results

Good morning. I recently undertook the task of performing this repair. Prior to beginning the job, I searched the internet and found a series of helpful DIY videos on You Tube where the owner of a 3100 powered Monte Carlo had the same front cover leak. I highly recommend anyone watch these videos before jumping into the repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de6apKi07yI

By the way, I successfully completed the repair and was able to sell the car for $2,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.