gm 1995-98 3.1L timing cover water leak issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gm 1995-98 3.1L timing cover water leak issue

anyone familiar with the 3.1L gm engines especially 95-98 years will know what a major PITa it is to get to and remove the frotn timing cover on these things.

well we got a 97 G/A in the shop right now that literally has somehow has every gasket in the sucker rot and leak

we did the head gaskets the other day and took car of the front left hand head gasket water leak there down the face of the block on that side

well it is now leaking out of right behind the belt tensioner where the two smaller bolts are by it that hold the cover to the face of the block.

one spot leaking drips constantly there

we are getitng fed up with this engine and the lady only drives it locally short trips and nothing more ever.

i have no idea what has caused this particular engine to be having so many issues with water and gaskets but we already have so many hours and hour sinto this thing and i am really thinking about trying stop leak in it for the timing cover gasket leak

i once fixed a 3" long crack in the block in a dodge 318 engine and it worked a miracle on it totally stopped it

it was the copper colored flakes kind though

im not sure which wpould be best to try on this particular engine, with aluminum heads and radiator etc

or if it even matters

what do you think ?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM

gm water leak

gm actually makes stop leak tabs, they just call them coolants tabs. i would try these. we always put them in when we do intake gaskets on the gms.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

well we ended up pulling the timing cover and doing it correctly.,

the repair guide showed that you had to remove the oil pan and suspension support and so much other parts that it would have been a huge job

but we did it by skipping pulling the oil pan and it went fine

car is done thank god finally omg

wow..

finally no water leaks from this thing.

she will be happy i hope

runs like a sewing machine just purrs and runs beautifully like brand new, way better than when it came to us for sure!
and no more leaks!!!

we are so done with this nightmare of a car

it goes back to the owner tonight yayyyyy

i have seen more of the insides of a '90s 3.1/3.4 than i ever want to see again for a very very very very VERY long time...

so many hours into this, an insane number really....

thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Timing Cover gasket without removing oil pan

I did the timing chain cover on my 96 Monte Carlo 3.1 without removing the oil pan after reading this post and everything went fine. The manual said I needed to do all that work but I did not have to. I had a coolant leak on the back coolant port of the timing cover. After removing the cover I removed the old gasket with a gasket scrapper from both the engine and the timing cover. I then used brake cleaner on a rag to clean the surfaces. I used HI Tack to stick the gasket to the engine and a bead of GM# 12346004 at the bottom of the gasket on each side where it touchs the oil pan. The manual says to use 1052080 but this has been superceeded by 12346004. Be sure to cut the bottom of the gasket to fit your engine first. I also used 12346004 on the 4 bolts by the coolant ports. Everything worked great. No coolant or oil leaks. So the answer is yes you can do the job without removing the oil pan if you are careful and the oil pan gasket is in good condition. My pan gasket had been changed not that long ago when some transmission work was done so it was in good shape. I hope this information will help someone else who comes across this post in the future.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.