Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - GM 3.1L Cooling issues and cooling fan
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 PM

Last journal entry: 1969 Olds Cutlass conv. build
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks so much for the help! Ok, I tried turning the AC on full blast (ambient temp outside was 12 degrees) and neither fan came on...does that mean I have a bad fan relay or something? (the 10a fuse in the fusebox looks good) Driving around town it seems fine, however On the freeway is where it starts to get alittle warm. Up to 60-65 its ok, but 70+ the temp guage wanders almost to 3/4 (and it's winter!).....I don't recall it doing this before. I did just have a new trans put in as well....could the trans running hot and using the internal cooler in the radiator be an issue (fluid is full)? I noticed the lower radiator hose is warm (not hot). At this point I'm alittle perplexed!

Do the air bubbles just take a while to get rid of? I bled the little valve on the water pump and the other one by the thermostat housing when I first got it back together. Everytime I've checked it since then, the radiators full with the expansion tank at the hot level when warm.

Of course, maybe there's nothing wrong and I'm being too picky....Normally, I dont buy cars unless theyre 25 years old or older (broke my rule for this one and look what happened!!), so to me, 220 is getting alittle warm.... does this newer stuff just run hotter?