GM 4L60E Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

GM 4L60E Problems

Well heres the story, About a month ago my transmission in my 93 GMC 4x4 Suburban lost 1st, 3rd, and OD. I put a good used tranny in and after about 1500miles this transmission (out of a 95 GMC Jimmy 4x4) did the exact same thing. So I let it sit about 20min., then turned the key on and off 5 times before starting it and the tranny started working fine again. Any ideas why or whats going on?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 11:35 AM

4l60e

When there is no electricity going to this trans[ failsafe ] you will have 2nd gear only, and reverse of course.

Were there no codes in the system when you had this problem the first time?

Did you take time to check, or did you just install another transmission?

This is an electronically controlled transmission, so these type of things must be checked first.

If you do not have access to a good scan tool, one that will allow you enter the data stream as well as remove any codes that may be stored in the system then you will need to take this vehicle to a transmission shop.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=briscoe]When there is no electricity going to this trans[ failsafe ] you will have 2nd gear only, and reverse of course.

actually the 4l60e will revert to 3rd gear when there is a loss of power both solenoids being off will give you direct drive more than likley what you felt was 3rd ear start and you lost 1 2 4.....you need to check out your eletrical system make sure the connector is plugged in all the way make sure there are no blown fuses. there was also a problem with the ignition switch on some models causing this problem
Old 10-11-2007, 07:45 PM

4l60e

Uh oh, my bad, must have had 4L80 on my mind.

Thank you performabuilt2 for catching that.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

anytime man I have had my share of brain farts lol I couldnt rmember the other day if the long side of the 4th servo went in or out the other day lol had to look in the book doesnt really matter as long as the pin isnt to long but still i couldnt remember lol...when i seen that i had to scroll back up and see if he was talking about an 80 lol before i posted
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

A senior moment for briscoe?

It is odd for the same problem to pop up in the replacement trans... The 1995 trans uses a different lock-up strategy on the converter than the 1993 trans, that should not cause this problem to my knowledge.

As suggested the wire problem could be there.... the replacement of the OE trans with used trans may have disturbed the problem area of the wires so the connection was 'good' for a while.? Dirt , corrosion , loose connection could be the problem.

Ignition switches can wear out ... some folks have to have 3 pounds of dangly crap on the key chain and wonder why the key falls out of the ignition tumbler

Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 AM

Thanks guys, I actualy stopped my a shop today and and they thought it was odd as well, the truck has 3.73 gears and when this happend I could only do about 55mph @ almost 4500/5000rpms. They scanned it and only pulled a speed sensor problem which is why my ABS light is on but the speedo still works. Still open to ideas to try, has not done it again and I should have hooked up a scanner on the first one but the shop said to bring it in when it is acting up and they'll scan it.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 AM

4l60e

GMkid43 you have gotten some great suggestions here so far, I think you are on the right track now, with regards to taking in into a shop to be scanned.

With these units you need a diagnostic path to follow, this is where the scan tool comes in. It helps to guide you in the right direction.

And Crosley, you are killing me. I just hit the big 50 last week, so your timing is perfect. [ senior moment ].
Old 10-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

An intermentant problem is a hard one to locate. IF the scan would turn up some codes or something... on the older vehicle (1993) there are limits to available information from the PCM

Briscoe..... I remember 50.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

I remember 32
Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by performabuilt2
I remember 32

LOL........ my son is 34 in december this year. I was a youngster when he was born.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:24 AM

4L60e problem

"93 and '95 transmissions are different. The '93s have one solenoid, same for '94. However, the '95s have two sloenoids. Don't know if the plug is the same. Sounds like it is if yours fit okay, but the electronics are different.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 AM

your not alone

i have a4l60e behind a 350 i drove a100 miles normal stopped for lunch then no 1st 2nd or 4th only 3rd i drove back 80 klms an hour at high rpm as i have 4/11 diff 20: tyres if you resolve this problem can you let me know thanks trevorbg
Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 PM

You're not alone/ 4L60e

Hi Trevor, G'day mate, from Alaska. Well I'm not a transmission expert by any means. Rebuilt a few, but I'm an amateur. However, I had the same problem you're experiencing with a 4L80e in a '94 Chevy one ton van . I was 100 miles north of Dawson Creek, Canada when the trans. felt like it wasn't shifting right. I pulled over to check the fluid. It was hot but looked fine. Then when I got ready to go I only had 3rd or second and reverse. Thought about going back to Dawson Creek for a rebuild. Lots of $$$$$! So I just took an hours nap to mull it over. When I restarted to go, I had all gears! Just needed a cool down, but I think it damaged 4th gear. Hard to tell on the Alcan with so many hills and I was towing a heavy load. In town, it is hard to tell about 4th gear as it needs to be about 55mph to shift it. My problem is temporarily solved the hard way as my shop burnt down and fried the van which was too close outside. Ahh, as they say "If it has **** or tires, you're going to have trouble with it".
Cheers
Harry
Old 12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
"93 and '95 transmissions are different. The '93s have one solenoid, same for '94. However, the '95s have two sloenoids. Don't know if the plug is the same. Sounds like it is if yours fit okay, but the electronics are different.

Actually the 93 - 94 trans have 4 solenoids on the v-body.

The 95 & up have 5 solenoids on the v-body.

Both trans have the lock up solenoid that is plugged into the pump.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.