GM 4L80 Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2003, 05:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Post GM 4L80 Questions

Hey guys. I am just wondering if any of you have messed with tuning the 4L80 in the new GM trucks. I would like to modify the shift points a touch and also firm them up. I have been told this can be done with a plug in console and I have access to one. If any of you have done this or know anything about it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: TurboS10 ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2003, 12:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

I am not sure what you are calling a "plug in console"

The trucks use "flash" memory in the PCM . You will need an aftermarket programmer to alter the program in there. And then it is limited on what can be done to the shift timing.

Are you looking for higher WOT shift points, or different light throttle shift points?

Most of these controllers raise the operating line pressure to acheive firmer shifts. This puts more wear on the pump of the tranny. A minor increase of pressure does not really harm the pump of the tranny.

There are some tranny only plug in devices that may provide what you are looking for. Many have three settings, "OEM , towing" Heavy duty" as an example.

I would recommend a TransGo shift kit for the 4L80E if you want firmer shifts. This kit alters the shift firmness with the accumilators and different spring, and hole sizes.

The TransGo kit also offers protection from run-away line pressures that blow up drums in the 4L80E.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

I am talking about an aftermarket plug in programmer. I believe it is JET brand. I dont want to do anything mechanically due to warranty. I am actually wanting to lower the 1-2 shift point. It is at almost 6000 rpm and the engine begins to fall off just short of that. 5500 would be perfect. I would also like to firm it up just a bit through out the range.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-27-2003, 06:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

You need to take the truck in for service work since the factory WOT shift points are not near 6k RPM. Depending on your power train the max RPM shift should be near 5400 RPM

I believe the V8 factory rev limiter is at 5600 and fuel pump shut down is 5800 for the small blocks. I would to check since my memory is fuzzy on this.

I guess there is the possiblity that the tach is incorrect too.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:05 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I drive 2002 1500 hd with 4l80e what are you going to do with it? Mine shuts off at 95 mph now that sucks, trans shifts ok but could be harder but did that to my 96 Z-28 banging shifts are fun for awhile but everyday driveing pain in the butt.

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: airworld2 ]

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: airworld2 ]</p>
Old 04-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The 1-2 shift point is about 5700-5800. The 2-3 is more like the 5400 stated above. There is no fuel or rev limiting at that point.

As for the use, it is a daily driver and soon to be tow vehicle. I just wanted to firm up the shifts a little bit, not make a neck snapper out of it. I know what you mean airworld about it getting old. One of my th350's will about break your neck. I dont want anything like that. I just dont like the "sloppy" shifts at WOT the factory setup seems to have.

Maybe I need to have it checked out as stated above. Does anyone know for sure what the shift point is suppose to be? It is used, and has 50k on the odometer.

Chris
Old 04-28-2003, 03:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Once you use it as a tow truck(may not be what you meant) warranty goes out the window I'll bet. 4l80e is one good transmission,100,000 miles before you have to worry. Good thing GM didnt put those in everything I wouldn't have a job.Shift point's are ok tweak epc solenoid a bit you'll be happy with results ,sounds like you need a bit more pressure to make your tranny firm but not rock hard.

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: airworld2 ]</p>

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.