GM 7.5" worthiness? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM 7.5" worthiness?

Hi all,

I have a Gen 1 S10 with a SBC/700R4. The rear is a 4.11 geared 26 spline 7.5" with an inoperative Gov-Lock. The truck is for cruising/tire spinning/scaring the occasional Mustang. It won't see track time and will never wear slicks/drag radials.

I am debating whether or not to put any money into the 7.5". Were I going to, I thought that upgrading with a new positraction carrier (of a yet to be determined brand) and 28 spline axles might be in order. Or perhaps going with a new aftermarket open carrier and a 28 spline Powertrax No-Slip.

So, my question is would I be throwing good money after bad by upgrading the 7.5"? I could always go the Explorer 8.8" Trac-Lok route, which seems to be popular with S10 guys, but I really do not want to buy new wheels to fix the inherent track width issues.

How about opinions on covers with integrated cap girdles for the 7.5"? I have read that the OEM carriers in the 7.5" are weak, but I do not know anything about the cap strength. Probably on the low end as well I would guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Blown 502

Last photo:

How much power you making ??? You hear a lot of mixed opinions on the 7.5 but anyone will tell you with big power you want a bigger/beefier rear.
Personally I would go to a 8.8 with 28 spine axles.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The 7.5 will probably be all right with hard street tires, as long as you don't have any wheel hop. The Eaton Posi 28 spline upgrade would be good. The caps on the 7.5 are the same as the 8.2 and 8.5 10 bolt, but the T/A Performance cover would be a good idea anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Faceless Bob (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
The caps on the 7.5 are the same as the 8.2 and 8.5 10 bolt
Thanks BGH - I was not aware of that.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

I would not put more into that 7.5 rear. If it breaks you have thrown your money away. I would find a stronger one.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

It's not hard to build a rear end for the S trucks. I've built Chevy car and truck 12 bolt rear ends, 8.5 GM corporate rear ends and 9 inch Ford rear ends for them. You just have to narrow them and put the spring perches on. If you have a housing fixture and if you can weld good then it's not a big deal. You just have to buy a set of axles.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

BGH - what brand of axles do you like? I noticed that Moser sells replacements for most of the rears I am looking at, and will make them in whatever length I need for non-outrageous prices. That would make the 8.8" swap more enticing for sure.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

I was a Moser dealer for 15 years. I never had any problems out of them. The 8.8 Explorer needs to be cut down on one end to get the pinion in the right location.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

I would actually need so go shorter on both sides to keep my current track width.

From what I gather, some S guys buy Exploder 8.8" rears and a spare short side axle, shorten the long end to center the pumpkin, bolt it on with a conversion u-joint and deal with the track and lug pattern differences with new wheels. Were I to use an 8.8" I would just shorten each side to match my 7.5". Not a big deal I suppose - just more work.

The housing jig you mentioned - I assume that is to assure that the axle tubes are straight when you weld them back onto the housing?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM

4 Wheel Drive S-10s

I have a friend that built an S-10 and he used a rear end from a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle. It is an 8.5 set up. One way to tell is the axle tubes get wider at the housing. The wheel base dimensions are the same, so you can stay with your current tire set up. I would go exploring is some junk yards for a 4wheel drive S-10 and see what you can come up with.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

S 10 4 wheel drive rear ends are 4 inchers wider than the 2 wheel drive rear ends. The ZR2 rear ends are even wider. There are a few 2 wheel drive 4.3 5 speed S trucks that got the 8.5 rear end. They are a little hard to find.

Yes, the housing fixture goes through the housing and lines up the housing ends with the differential bearing bore.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Bob View Post
Hi all,

I have a Gen 1 S10 with a SBC/700R4. The rear is a 4.11 geared 26 spline 7.5" with an inoperative Gov-Lock. The truck is for cruising/tire spinning/scaring the occasional Mustang. It won't see track time and will never wear slicks/drag radials.

I am debating whether or not to put any money into the 7.5". Were I going to, I thought that upgrading with a new positraction carrier (of a yet to be determined brand) and 28 spline axles might be in order. Or perhaps going with a new aftermarket open carrier and a 28 spline Powertrax No-Slip.

So, my question is would I be throwing good money after bad by upgrading the 7.5"? I could always go the Explorer 8.8" Trac-Lok route, which seems to be popular with S10 guys, but I really do not want to buy new wheels to fix the inherent track width issues.

How about opinions on covers with integrated cap girdles for the 7.5"? I have read that the OEM carriers in the 7.5" are weak, but I do not know anything about the cap strength. Probably on the low end as well I would guess.
I run/ran a mini spooled (no need to debate this as I'm aware of the general consensus) 7.5 with just an aftermarket cover most of the summer, it went bottom 12's with a strong 383 but not once did it ever hook. I actually had the explorer 8.8 sitting on the shop floor for when I fragged the 7.5 I could swap it. I sold the truck and never broke the rear, the current owner beats it like it owes him money and its still on the same mini spooled stock rear. Light truck, shty street tires and no axle hop as big gear head says and you would be surprised at how well they hold up.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

It's starting to sound like massive 7.5" failures are kinda like numbers matching 1960s big block Corvettes - more hearsay than actual reality.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Just replace the GM diff with a Eaton or a Auburn posi diff and it will be fine as is.

If the 4.10 gears are the original GM OEM S10 rear gears they are high quality HD.
The best 7.5" gears you can buy. This rear end is plenty strong.
if its worn out high mileage or was never set up correctly, then just rebuild it.

Not that hard.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Eaton Posi, Eaton Truetrac, Yukon Dura Grip, Torsen are all fine. Auburn and Eaton Governor Lock are crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (10-22-2013)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.