GM 8.5 10 bolt limited slip? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM 8.5 10 bolt limited slip?

I have a 8.5 10 bolt in my chevelle and have problems with posi. I start with a brake stand and both tires will spin for about a second, then the drivers side tire stops spinning and only the right tire will lay a strip.

Could this be a problem with a limited slip? I dont know exactly whats in the rear end. If its a limited slip, could the clutches be warn or it be malfunctioning due to low fluid?

I bought some GM posi additive and am going change the fluid in a few weeks.

Also, what does a limited slip do exactly? Will it lay a long posi down the road if you burn out with it, or do you need a locker to lay a posi?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

A limited slip differential (posi) uses clutches to apply power to both axles. When the clutches wear they don't work as well. When doing a "brake stand" you put pressure on the clutches that they were not designed to handle. It takes a very good differential to handle that kind of abuse, and it will require regular maintanance to keep it in that condition. Just go to the local drag strip and watch the street cars as they do their burnouts. You will see many of them start out with both tires spinning and then one will stop spinning. If you plan on doing this knod of thing on a regular basis then you need a locker. Just be warned that a locker will pop and jerk some when used on the street. Otherwise they are fine for every day use.

The limited slip oil additive makes the clutches slip easier, so don't think that by adding it that you are going to make it lock up better.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (04-22-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

ok, thanks.

If the fluid is low, what kind of rear end lube should I add; regular napa stuff or is there a special kind for posis?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Just regular 80W90 gear oil. Could be Valvoline, Mobile or whatever brand you like best. GL4 or GL5 will work fine. If you are going to change the oil and use the GM additive (and I would) then I would use oil that does not say that it is for limited slip differentials.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (04-23-2013)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.