Hot Rod Forum banner

The GM ACC + bulkhead fusebox OEM connector

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
In my 85 chevy truck the bulkhead by your feet has a fusebox. There are open ports for powering a CB, Fog lights, or other accesories. The fusebox OEM connectors look about 1/4" square, male type plug. GM Parts guys has no idea what connector type it is even with my best description.

What connectors are they, and can these crimp plugs be got?

#5 ·
oldschool hero said:
Just use a standard spade type crip on connecter that you can get just about anywhere.Just be sure to get the correct gauge for the wire you will be using.The spade will slide on the tangs in your block.As for where you get them ,any parts house will have them.

Correct Napa, AZ, Pepboys they all have them, would not waste my time in a junk yard for something like that...

#6 ·
The GM spade connectors you find in the junkyard have a fairly robust plastic rim around them and the plastic part almost locks into the the terminals in the fuse box. It does not fall out easily. NAPA female spade terminals also work, but they don't lock onto the fusebox as tightly.

In the junkyard you will also find quite a few OEM connectors that include a Y junction and two connectors for accessories, so you can add more than one wire easily. Some terminals in the fusebox are always on, while others are switched with the ignition, and they also have different fuse sizes.

Don't put any high amp accessories on these terminals in the fusebox. For a higher amp device, run a separate wire from the firewall junction point (next to brake booster) to a small aux fuse holder or fusebox. I used this method with a separate inline fuse holder to add a 20 amp cigarette lighter plug under the dash, so I could run a power inverter in the cab.

Bruce

#7 ·
To add to what Bruce has mentioned.

The connectors you find at the junkyard will also be "slot type specific"

There are different connectors for the Ignition, Battery, and ACCY. and one that came out of one hole will NOT go into another.

American Autowire sells connector bodies and terminals for this.
About $15 for a set of ten or 11 that are color coded and will fit into specific slots

#8 ·
You gave a reference , for Parts to look up.

My last trip to the yard was in Oct before any snow fell, and got my heads . Winter time is not good for the yard, or spring.

The harnesses a certain age years and older are recycled for copper, otherwise the wires corrode. Connectors , Yeah, but a new plug is best. Thanks.

#9 ·
Junk Yards are a very good source for OEM type parts....... after market are good for most things, but getting the same locking connectors that were designed for a terminal block can't be beat. I've picked connector and other pig tail type items for years, often removing the metal terminals and replaceing those with new terminals, inserting the new ones in the plastic connector ..... bam.... like new

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.