GM - Chrysler MERGER? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM - Chrysler MERGER?

Still tentative but WOW.

Read all about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/11/bu...ss&oref=slogin

Is this the shape of things to come?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Can't wait to see what my stock's will do if that happen's.$$$$$$
Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Probably be the best thing that ever happened. Start throwing GM motors into Chrysler bodies. Chrysler has the styling but the engines do not last. GM makes great engines, but their body styling sucks anymore.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Kevin, the pride and egos of GM would not be that logical. The most likely deal will be Chrysler motors go into GM bodies. This way every one looses so what is new?

Trees
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Chevro-lyser or Chry-rolet?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

RUMORS, rumors, RUMORS.
Egads, if I had a dollar for every internet merger rumor that DIDN'T HAPPEN, I could buy Chrysler Corp. MYSELF.

GM is financially strapped. Period.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

Okay. Guess they should name the first model of car they produce, the chevrolysler mutt.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I like Chevrysler or Chryolet myself...
Old 10-18-2008, 05:26 PM

chrysler

[QUOTE=Blazin72]I like Chevrysler or Chryolet myself
Didn't Chrysler just have a relationship with Mercedes? I didn't see any cars with odd motors????
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Mopar Guy
RUMORS, rumors, RUMORS.
Egads, if I had a dollar for every internet merger rumor that DIDN'T HAPPEN, I could buy Chrysler Corp. MYSELF.

It wasn't an internet rumor. It was reported on the news by GM
Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

GM-Chrysler merger??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Mopar Guy
RUMORS, rumors, RUMORS.

Well, according to the financial papers, GM would swap the GMAC unit for all of Chrysler, "vaporize" all the Chrysler brands and use only the Jeep portion. (and possibly some of the min-van portion) Chrysler has about 14 Billion in cash and liquid (and semi liquid) assets and GM is cash strapped.

Cerberus Capital, the current owners of Chrysler have no interest in making cars - only in making money - which GMAC does. GM gets Jeep and also gets the Cummins "diseasel" for its trucks. Mopar is losing tons of cash making Dodges and Chryslers. GM may have to also kill off another division as well - Pontiac is rumoured to be going the way of Oldsmobile.

And - even the blockheads in GM headquarters realize that it is just plain silly to have BOTH Chevrolet and GMC truck divisions - so will Chevrolet become "cars only" or will the GMC nameplate vanish into history? Stay tuned, folks!

And then there will be two. (Hmmm... _Ever wonder why Gillette/Evernham is the talk of the NASCAR garages with their rumoured switch to Toyotas soon? And all that talk of Ray Evernham leaving, after bring Dodge back into NASCAR!) (Yeah, I know, more rumours!)

By the way, Nissan/Renault is reported to be also looking at snapping up Mopar, again only wanting the Jeep brand, and would likely kill off the rest. (Yes it is Nissan/Renault - you did know that, didn't you?)

To clean up the books, Cerberus is attempting to buy back the last 20% of Mopar from Daimler/Mercedes so as to make the swap possible, and Cerberus already owns 51% of GMAC, which they bought in August, 2006. GM sold it to Cerberus just to keep afloat.

Who wins? Toyota & Honda!

Who loses? All the workers at Mopar, all the Mopar dealers and all the rest of the associated Mopar empire. Meanwhile, all the Mopar spokesmen (Spokespersons?) are in deny, deny, deny mode as folks will not buy Dodges if they think the company is going under - they don't want to be stuck with an orphan that has essentially no re-sale value. So I guess another set of folks who lose are the average people who may be looking at buying Mopars and just may see their resale/trade values drop through the floor.

Another casualty would likely be the remainder of Mistubishi, which has been depending on MOPAR for some time now. Mitsu's main interest is in heavy trucks, heavy industrial stuff, banking and finance anyway, so their semi-autonomous car division would be no loss to them - they have been rumoured to be pulling the plug on that for a while now.

Isuzu has already announced it is pulling outta N America on Jan 1, Mitsu will likely follow.

AND, by the way, Ford is also likely gonna be either bankrupt or bought out by a Japanese company shortly. They are already selling off all their overseas stuff like Jag, Land Rover, etc. Their Volvo line announced that it is laying off 25% of its world-wide staff. Ford has already sold off Ford Credit.

Once upon a time, not all THAT long ago, there were many makers of cars in the US. However, Nash, Studebaker, Hudson, Willys, Kaiser, & Packard all went the way of the merger/acquisition route, with Hudson & Nash becoming American motors and then being picked up by Renault, who then sold it to Mopar, who only wanted the Jeep brand anyway.

And then there were 3. Likely soon to be two.

Better get used to Toyotas and Hondas guys!

Last edited by Dave57210; 10-18-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Forgot one small detail

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.