Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - GM column ?
Thread: GM column ?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Heathen

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

back from the dead pile

I can't believe the last post on this thread was on May 20, 2011. I work slow!!

So since then I have adapted the wiper motor from an '89 Astro van to the wiper motor frame from my Volvo. It matches the GM column I have. All I had to do was machine an aluminum disk 3" in diameter and hand file a double "D" hole in the middle so it mounts to the GM wiper motor. The original throw of the Volvo wiper arm was a radius of 1.3" (33mm), with the disk at 3" (76mm) this allowed me to drill a 1/4-20 hole to attach the link arm at the same radius when the motor was in the park position and the wipers where at the end of their stroke. Now the throw of the GM motor matches the original Volvo so the wiper sweep is the same.
Everything seemed to be working according to plan until I noticed that when the wiper is operating in delay mode it stops at the 3 o'clock position, but when I turn the wipers off it rotates to the 4:30 position. I think this will cause me some problems. I had not noticed it doing this during all my testing, in fact I'm pretty sure it just started today during final assembly, no less Keep in mind that this wiper motor came from the Pick N' Pull, could be that it's just plumb wore out. Or........does the Astro van have the kind of wipers that hide under the trailing edge of the hood and park in a different position then the delay stop? If that's the case I'm afraid I've wasted a great deal of time and energy on trying to adapt something that will never work Anybody have an Astro van that could confirm this for me?