GM eSI DVD question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 07:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM eSI DVD question

I bought a GM eSI Factory Service Manual DVD for my daughter's 2004 Chevy Malibu and I must be doing something wrong with the installation on my PC. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

Should have no problems installing it and running it as long as your "firewall" does not block it...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

I went through the installation a couple of times (on 2 computers). On one I get a message about the Standalone application being installed and the standalone data files needing to be installed. The other computer starts the web browser and looks (in vain) for IP address 127.0.0.1 .

I get the feeling that I'm doing something in the wrong order... I ran the autorun files on the DVD, then copied the "copy to harddrive" folder to the hard drive, then ran the setup and update files on that. The instructions that came with the DVD are vague.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

What operating system are you running and are you running a firewall??? 127.0.0.1 is a loop back to your own machine nothing to worry about. You will want to shut the firewall down for a few mins to install the software... You should have a disk labeled "application" thats the first disk to run...
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

One computer is running Windows 2000 Pro, the other one Vista Home Premium. I disabled the firewalls, anti-virus, and everything that wasn't absolutely necessary. In what order did you install everything?

I would think that the SI Stand-alone data that it's asking for would be the stuff that's in the "Copy to HardDrive" folder. These folders and files were installed in the C:\Program Files\GM SPO\eSI\SIROM\SIen folder (Db, R0, R1, R2, R2.1).

Last edited by MAUSS; 11-12-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 AM

Last journal entry: Cleaning and Powder coat
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUSS
I went through the installation a couple of times (on 2 computers). On one I get a message about the Standalone application being installed and the standalone data files needing to be installed. The other computer starts the web browser and looks (in vain) for IP address 127.0.0.1 .

I get the feeling that I'm doing something in the wrong order... I ran the autorun files on the DVD, then copied the "copy to harddrive" folder to the hard drive, then ran the setup and update files on that. The instructions that came with the DVD are vague.
On Any computer 127.0.0.1 should be the loopback address and valid. It's the reference address for itself.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

The eSI software has a web server (Tomcat) built into it to allow access to the files. The icon on the desktop opens the 127.0.0.1 address (the Tomcat server inside the computer), but it can't seem to open the eSI data files themselves from there. This is where it comes up and says that the Stand-alone data files need to be installed. I guess it could be looking in the wrong place for them.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 AM

Last photo:

After much searching, I found copies of the original paper GM eSI DVD installation instructions online... this looks promising. It says that the Java 2 Runtime Environment has to be removed before installation and that Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 has to be installed. I'll have to try this again tonight.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:20 PM

Has anyone figured this one out yet? I just got the DVD and it just opens 127.0.0.....blah blah and it cannot find it. Anyone know what I should do?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

I finally got it to work by loading it onto a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro. I made sure nothing else was loaded on the computer, loaded the Microsoft .NET Framework, eSI program, then loaded the anti-virus, firewall, MS Office, etc. Fortunately I had enough parts on hand to build the extra PC. It seems to work fine now.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 PM

This is a little amazing. I can buy downloading the .net -- which comes in 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 -- all of which are supposed to be able to run on the same computer -- at the same time. ( I have 1.1 and 2.0)

Uninstallling the Java2.0 seems awfully strange -- unless the DVD requires a different version. Maybe it wants to install a different version ( which could be an earlier one), and it won't if one is installed. In my opinion that's a pretty bogus installation process.

Glad that you got it working.

ford2go
Old 12-23-2007, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

It might have been sensitive to the order in which they were installed. If I have the time, I might experiment with it... it's really the only thing I use that computer for.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.