GM HEI Module Keeps Burning Out - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 07:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

GM HEI Module Keeps Burning Out

Hello,

-Put in a new 350 crate motor in 2005. It came with a new HEI distributor, pretty much stock unit, think it was made in China.

-It ran great for about a year, then wouldn't start. Traced it to the HEI module (the four pin style). Bought a new module at GM dealer (it's made in Singapore) and installed it with all of the special grease it came with.

-Again, ran great for almost exactly a year, then wouldn't start again over 4th of July 2007. Same thing-new HEI module from dealer, used all the special grease.

-Today, after only 2 months later, the HEI module burned out again. I had an old spare one and swapped it out, and it fired right up.

-Does anyone have ideas what else could be causing these modules to burn out? Or am I just unlucky to have gotten 3 bad modules? Instead of just buying a new module this time, thinking about buying a new, better quality HEI distributer and just getting the new module that comes with it--but if there is some other reason for the modules burning up, this new distributor will not really fix the problem.

-Any ideas or past experience with fixing the real cause of this problem will be very much appreciated.

-This is in a 59 chevy pickup, so there is tons of room under hood and seems like the engine doesnt run real hot, so don't think underhood temperatures are super hot.

Thanks,
rvh

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

make sure that your coil has the little ground strap installed under the dust cover.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

And then check to see that you have 14vdc at the coil wire while the car is running.

Don't feel bad----I have experienced the same thing more than once.
After the module cooled off a bit, it ran fine>>>>>>for a while.

went totally boobies up in my driveway backing out. Silly module tested okay---but I knew better

After a couple of these incidents---I went ahead and changed the coil, cap, module.

Might want to keep a spare in the glovebox

Bryan
Old 09-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

Condenser

Doesn't the HEI have a condenser? Its in there for the same reason you have one on a points system - eats the inductive kick that also tries to "fire" across the primary side of the coil circuit when it is suddenly opened. If the condenser is bad - the inductive kick will also try to eat the power transistor that is in there replacing the points - or maybe the dwell timing computer chip, whatever. In any case, it is a necessary part of the system if you are trying to get reliability.

Maybe you need a new one........otherwise dunno what to guess.....
Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM

I had a problem and it just kept getting worse. I was going thru modules a lot. A friend gave me an HEI I had laying around and I put it in 3 years ago. I'm still running on it. (That is probably the kiss of death, I'll bet it goes bad this weekend just for saying it)
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanhalen
Hello,

-Put in a new 350 crate motor in 2005. It came with a new HEI distributor, pretty much stock unit, think it was made in China.

-It ran great for about a year, then wouldn't start. Traced it to the HEI module (the four pin style). Bought a new module at GM dealer (it's made in Singapore) and installed it with all of the special grease it came with.

-Again, ran great for almost exactly a year, then wouldn't start again over 4th of July 2007. Same thing-new HEI module from dealer, used all the special grease.

-Today, after only 2 months later, the HEI module burned out again. I had an old spare one and swapped it out, and it fired right up.

-Does anyone have ideas what else could be causing these modules to burn out? Or am I just unlucky to have gotten 3 bad modules? Instead of just buying a new module this time, thinking about buying a new, better quality HEI distributer and just getting the new module that comes with it--but if there is some other reason for the modules burning up, this new distributor will not really fix the problem.

-Any ideas or past experience with fixing the real cause of this problem will be very much appreciated.

-This is in a 59 chevy pickup, so there is tons of room under hood and seems like the engine doesnt run real hot, so don't think underhood temperatures are super hot.

Thanks,
rvh
If installed in an old car make sure your hot wire does not have an internal resister. HEI likes nice big 12v hot wire with no resistor.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

High secondary resistance (or an open-circuit condition) will fry an HEI module.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.