GM hyd roller lifters and .540 lift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM hyd roller lifters and .540 lift

Has anyone used GM factory hydraulic roller lifters with a cam that has a .360 lobe lift/.540 at the valve? I have heard rumors that the stock lifter may fall below the guide when on the base circle of the cam(not good). Crane makes longer travel lifters for this application but they are over $500...YIKES!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I can`t say I heard of what your discribing, If there was a issue it seems the cam company would notify one in the instructions or if in any doubt contact the cam company. Comp sells a cam with .600 lift for use on stock roller tappets. Ultimately check the clearence yourself when you assemble it.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread, but I have the exact same issue that the OP had and I was hoping for some more information on the subject.

I have a late-model 350 SBC (factory roller cam) that I am using for a 383 build. When speaking to a tech at Crane about a cam recommendation, he advised me not to use stock GM lifters for any cam with more than ~.480 lift (1.5 rockers) because they are more likely to fail after that point. He recommended the same lifters mentioned above, which are $535 from Summit. Here is the Crane listing for those lifters:

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...&lvl=3&prt=117

Quote:
Long travel design for 87-98 blocks originally equipped with hydraulic roller cam and lifters. A necessity when camshafts have greater than stock lobe lift or reduced base circle diameter. For use with standard GM alignment bars.
I haven't seen any comparably specified lifters from Comp or any other big-name valve train companies that I have looked into. So I'm wondering, is this really a necessity? Or was the Crane tech simply trying to sell me a really expensive set of lifters? Crane has another set of lifters in their line for a little over $200, which is comparable to most others that I have found from Comp, et al. My phone call with Comp was cut off mid-way through thanks to my cell phone dropping the call and I haven't had time to contact them since.

A good question to ask others here would be: Has anybody used stock GM roller lifters on a cam with valve lift in excess of .480" and had any problems?

Thanks for any information you guys can provide. I will of course check this upon assembly, but I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of returning and re-ordering lifters should I find something wrong; I'd like to try and get the correct lifters the first time.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

I used a new set of GMPP hydraulic roller lifters in this 383 build. The cam has a 1.15 base circle(standard for this lobe) and .360 lobe lift(.540 at the valve). The lifters do not fall below the top of the guide when on the base of the lobe and all is well so far!

I bought the kit from SDPC for around $200 which includes the liters,retainer,guides and bolts.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

Cool, thanks for the information GMC. I'll have to check to see what the base circle is on these cams I'm looking at.

What kind of RPM does your new 383 normally see?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.