gm ignition tumbler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 10:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gm ignition tumbler

how do I remove the tumbler for the ignition? it made me real mad today. it was acting up earlier when it would not go foreward to start, and finally, it will not go backwards to shut it off. I had to pull off the coil wire and electrocute myself in the process. it will srat just fine, but stuck on run, and i also busted off the ring the ears are on with a ball-pene hammer. so how can i deal with this? I have an ignition tumbler from a 74 impala, will this fit?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 12:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

tumbler

pull steering wheel with puller. 3 screws holding turn signal plastic plate, pull that out a little then there is a round metal plate with a metal round keeper around center of shaft. the keeper which looks like a ring but open on side will have to be pried out with knife or small screwdriver. to pry it out , you have to push the round metal plate down to get pressure off the ring (keeper); there is a to but two people can push and pry without a tool. Once off ; there is a hole up in the right side where the plate came off , you have to put a skinny screwdriver through there , wiggle to release the tumbler as you pull it out. Its been awhile but if you look in that right upper corner you will figure it out. There might even be a plastic piece with a copper tab on it for the horn I believe in that hole ; just slide it out and insert driver. the new switch will snap right in with a little force. I could be a little off but that should get you close if no one else chimes in and your in a hurry as most are!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackflash
I have an ignition tumbler from a 74 impala, will this fit?
Doc here,

Don't know...unless it's not a 59 Ford...I guess it might...What Car is it?

Never hammer out a Lock Cylinder..Use oil or Graphite to free it up and massage the key..if you can get it free (on most) Turn it to the ACC mode, stick a paper clip in the hole on the key receiver, and pull the tumbler cylinder out..reinstall your new one in reverse order..

You now may be faced with replacing the whole switch or Steering column..due to damage by the hammering.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.