GM intake gasket lawsuit? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM intake gasket lawsuit?

Check this out. Sounds like "The Man" finally figured out what we've known for years.

GM intake gaskets

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

Yup, fixed that on my Malibu (3100) and my brother's Monte Carlo (3400). I am constantly telling others on various other forums about this problem when they describe the typical symptoms of a blown LIM gasket.

Chris
Old 05-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am not defending GM, they have put some crap on the roads, but come on the vehicle owner should take some responsibility.

Slatter's problems started when her vehicle had less than 100,000 kilometres on the odometer. It was leaking coolant, she said, and her warning light was on. An independent mechanic diagnosed a leaking intake manifold gasket -- and told her she should get it replaced.

Eventually, her GM Montana broke down completely. Now, she needs a new head gasket -- a significant repair.

I didn't know (how serious that problem was) until my thermostat was over in the red," Slatter said. "It totally overheated. Because the coolant was gone."
Old 05-04-2006, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

I agree, she should have fixed her van before the head gasket blew. However, this does not excuse the fact that GM knowingly used a faulty gasket design for 8 years, without notifying customers. Their internal memos state that they knew of the problem well in advance, yet did nothing.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:

I have to say as bad as this is, I did make some good money replacing these gaskets in the past.

GM should have their pee-pee spanked for this one , this has been an ongoing problem for too long.

Just wondering how many blows GM can take before they go away.

I think GM stands for God's Mistake

Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 04:33 PM

The Big Three can't figure out why their sales are declining, it is this type of problems that drive people away. With GM you could go on forever, Quad 4 great engine-crap head gaskets, late model truck engines-piston slap, this intake gasket issue. Chrysler, Dakota ball joints, all truck transmissions. Ford and their tendency to catch fire.
Maybe what they have is a bad bunch of engineers or bean counters trying to save a couple of bucks.
With the three, they keep changing the names of their cars so people will forget about all of the problems they have had.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:50 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Is this problem only with Cananian built gm cars?? because I have a 98 GMC Yukon, and a 2000 chev dually that both seep coolant,, not a full blown leak yet, but using more coolant than usual, and they were built in then US
Old 05-04-2006, 07:21 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

No it is not only a Canadian problem. I have replaced the intake gasket on my wife's El Dorado, which is not on the list, and had to do the same thing on her 88 El Dorado. The present one, 2001 Northstar engine also caused a vacuum leak that triggered a Check Engine light. I had noticed a small amount of coolant on the garage floor and was watching it closely since the 88 problem. Any one really trust the 1/4 inch bead of silicone sealant used on the front and rear of the intake/base plate these days? That was the culprit in both my cases.

Trees
Old 05-04-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
Is this problem only with Cananian built gm cars?? because I have a 98 GMC Yukon, and a 2000 chev dually that both seep coolant,, not a full blown leak yet, but using more coolant than usual, and they were built in then US
The construction co. I was equipment manager for had a 98 GMC 1500 4x4, 350. I found the intake gaskets bad in it when the anti freeze ended up in the oil pan.
I would change out the gaskets to be safe.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

The company I work for has a fleet of Venture vans with the 3.4 V6 and all of them have had the intake gaskets replaced and a couple of them twice. The bill is usually $1500 cdn. Little wonder the fleet manager is looking else where for new vehicles. I like driving the Venture and other than this continuing gasket problem we have few other issues but come on GM spend another 25 cents for a quality gasket. This is 2006 not 1906!!
There now I feel better. thx for letting me rant.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

This sounds just like Ford's composite intake manifold cracking on the 4.6L engines, only this will be affecting a lot more cars.

My prediction: GM will drag it through the court system for 5-6 years and then settle to replace the faulty units within 7-8 years of the build date. Which effectively prevents them from having to take any responsibility in the matter.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Eventually, GM will have to suck it up and deal with the problem. For them, the sooner the better.
My guess is,they farmed it out and had Felpro build the gaskets. I just had to do the intake gaskets on a 87 4-bolt 350 that had 8000 miles on it. It was sucking oil into the intake runners and loosing a tad bit of coolant into the motor.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:35 PM
No officer I won’t do it again

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 steve
I have to say as bad as this is, I did make some good money replacing these gaskets in the past.

GM should have their pee-pee spanked for this one , this has been an ongoing problem for too long.

Just wondering how many blows GM can take before they go away.

I think GM stands for God's Mistake

Steve
\

I have to agree there. I also have done many of these as well. But is it really any different then Chryslers A604. How many of those pieces of s^&% have you replaced or rebuilt. Not to mention the millions of them that blow the differential all to hell because the pin lets go. Chrysler gets away with it because it is not considered a safety hazard. Not mention they changed the name of the transmission. Different name same old problems. I would imagine that GM will no doubt also get away with this and it will be dismissed because it will fall into a not a safety hazarded thing. oh yea and not to forget all of the money spent by consumers repairing the Chrysler 3.3 and 3.5 because the timing belt tensioner freezes up and chunks the belt. And the millions of GM 4x4 actuators that are junk. And the steering columns that fall apart. And the Cadillac blowing head gaskets because there is only about an 1/8 inch of gasket between the cylinder and edge of block. Ect ect ect. I just can’t see anything being done about it. I will be real surprised if GM pays for it. They can get away with it as long as it does not fall into a safety hazard.

Oh yea, one more famous one. The millions of fords blowing the spark plugs right out of the block.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Any one really trust the 1/4 inch bead of silicone sealant used on the front and rear of the intake/base plate these days? That was the culprit in both my cases.

The cooling jacket seal at the front of the gasket is the usual suspect, and the leak will appear to be coming from this silicone bead. It (in my experience) does not seal coolant. In the many cases that I have repaired, with the new gaskets, and everything clean and dry, the silicone end seals never leak again. Mind you, I don't use silicone any more, as I switched to Permatex Right Stuff. IMHO, it so far surpasses RTV that the extra cost is more than made up in reduced risk of comeback, and much faster return-to-service time. The Right Stuff can be returned to service immediatly after bolts are torqued, and the oil will not leak.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

I had to replace the same POS gasket on my 1996 Chevy Silverado. Thank goodness I was able to do it myself and not have to pay a shop though!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.