GM late 60s Transistorized Ignition? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM late 60s Transistorized Ignition?

Okay fellas. Customer car; 65 corvette with solid lifter 327 and an AG Equip M23 4-spd. 2.98 1st gear and 3.42(?) rear gear. Its supposed to retain a lot of its stock-style charm, but it does have modern disc brakes and a modern profile solid lifter camshaft with rams horns, a bigger generator (I believe its from an air-conditioned car and the intake is a RPM non-airgap, thats been modified for a oil fill tube, which is also equipped with a PCV setup.

The owner has a hidden MSD box (6AL I think) and a MSD dizzy under the chrome distributor cover widget.

He'd rather have something he could mount on the firewall or fender that LOOKS period. I know there was an aftermarket CDI type box pre-MSD but I cant remember the name.

My boss suggested a T.I system since A. It was a vette option, B. You don't see many and C. It was available over the counter from GM for years.

However, other than factory service literature, I cant find much info about the Delcotron; what I can find all seems to be the same text copied from a singular source.

Any info on distributor parts, how the system works, or the amplifier itself?

I imagine he could get an amplifier and dummy it up in the engine bay if the cost is going to be outta sight.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You are thinking of the UHV (Ultra High Voltage) ignition system offered on Corvettes, Olds 442s, and Toronados. It was actually a precursor to the HEI. The mag pickup in the distributor looks just like the HEI parts, but the 1960s-vintage electronics wouldn't package in a small module, so GM needed that large external box. Expect to pay stupid money if you can find one.

You can get a repro of the sticker. It might be easier (and significantly cheaper) to mill a flat on the MSD box and install the repro sticker.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM

My 1963 Pontiac Catalina had the optional AC Delco Transistor Ignition and Charging System. It was the predecessor the to Cheverolet units first used on the 1964 Corvettes. I had my TI wiring harness rewired with the factory type wiring and had the TI amplifier rebuilt with modern technology by M&H Eletronic Fabricators, Inc., in Santa Fe Springs, California. Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars

M&H Electronic Fabricators has the factory wiring diagrams and can rebuild your original TI and Charging System. They can replace the OE Transistor Ignition amplifier with an improved unit. The AC Delco TI amplifier was the sore spot with the original TI systems. The TI amplifier and transistorized voltage regular was mounted in the radiator support on my 1963 Pontiac Catalina. You must have a special TI tachometer and TI coil to be compatible with the TI system.

After my AC Delco TI and Charging System was rebuilt, it was trouble free and was working perfectly when I sold my 1963 Pontiac Catalina 421 HO two years ago.

Last edited by MouseFink; 07-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Just get the fancy aluminum box and mount a HEI module in it. The MSD distributor will drive it fine.
There were a few cars that used this as the OEM setup, including some 1980's Maseratis.

I used to modify the points distributors to accept a HEI pickup and then mount the module right on the firewall. That was 25 years ago.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Bubba's Rod Shop and many others do something similar. The UHV system is not an option; even the 'box' is ridiculously priced. There is a Delta Mark 10 setup in the local paper for like $75. They were supposedly used in Baldwin Motion cars; although I know a porsche that had a -10B in it when I was a kid. It looks pretty trick and is a late 60s piece and actually WORKS.

He poo-poo'd my obviously uninformed and ignorant idea to just buy a gosh darned Pertronix kit and install it in a refurbished distributor with a black cap (with window); use a black coil and packard plug wires; life would be grand.

I love corvette owners usually, but sometimes it seems like they try to lord over you because they know the part numbers for lugnuts on a 65 corvette with 396 and airconditioning...AND think they have enough money to justify being a dingleberry. Its not like hes driving a Birdcage Maserati or has a Leno or Harrah's type of collection. Oh well; thanks for any input as always guys.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Back in the day those transistorized were worth around $300. You might be better off using something like a Petronix. They used the transistorized ignitions but they never really caught on. Once the HEI came out, that was the end of them. I had a aftermarket version, it was brand new and I could never get it to work.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 PM

I also had a Pertronix conversion in another 1963 Pontiac Catalina distributor. To make that system work correctly, I had to take all but .020" thrust out of the distributor shaft with shims and I took all the wobble out of the weight plate with a few taps with a small hammer. That was essential in order to keep the same gap between the magnetic pickups as the distribtor spins. The Pertronix conversion was installed in 1996 and was working perfect when I sold my Pontiacs two years ago. After installing the Pertronix kit, the engine started instantly, ran smooth with steady 30* coil saturation time throughout the RPM range, and I did not have to stand on my head to adjust the point dwell every weekend. The distributor is buried behind the rear carburator on a Pontiac with tri-power and it is a major PITA to adjust the dwell on a points type distributor.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

My old man has a pertronix ignitor 2 and matching coil in black on his 55. He kept an all new points and condenser set in in the glovebox (I guess he thought he was going to convert it back on the side of the road if it broke). One day they were gone from the glovebox. "Did you use em?" "Nah but Grundy will send a rollback anyway, who am I kidding, Im not going to lean over the fender on the side of the road trying to stuff this crap back in there. Gave em to some kid for his rat rod project along with a set of ignition wrenches I found."

No dice on the Transistorized Ignition anyway. I have an updated thread on a Delta mk 10 or 10-B in this forum
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM

I could put a dwell meter on my stock distributor that contained the Pertronix conversion and it held a steady 30 degrees dwell from idle to high RPM, giving the maximum coil saturation time throughout the RPM range. .

If you check the dwell throughout the RPM range with a stock GM points type distributor, the dwell will decrease from the 30 degree dwell setting at idle to about 23 degrees dwell above 5,000 RPM. That rediuces the coil saturation time and coil output voltage.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stroker 351 W Ford Motor=Building

Hays Ignition-kits??

anyone remember the old -60's era Hays electronic Ignition kits -used to eliminate the points sets- magnetic type pickup stuff? I installed one in my corvette -still in it & never has ever given any problems. What ever happened to hays ignitions? They sell to someone?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM

I dont like people that own Corvettes either.
have you tried" Corvette Specialties "?
If he upgraded to different disc brakes then its already modified. Generator? in 1965?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

guy is 'eccentric' ; if he was poor I'd call him 'weird' LOL
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

If you owned a car as expensive as a vintage Corvette, and was constantly hunting the correct parts for it, you would know every part number and would be eccentric too. I have a friend who owns and maintains two show quality Pontiac 421 Super Duty Catalinas and he is wierd too. It is enough to drive you crazy.

At a concours d'elegance Bloomington Gold Corvette show the judges count the threads on a screw in the glove compartment to break a tie.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Stroker 351 W Ford Motor=Building

Bunch of Tough Guys! hehe =had my 67 vette since 71 & i am =NOT a vetter freak! I could care less about all those frame off all matching #'s stuff! Good Vetts are just like land- god just isnt making the good old ones amymore.! Mine is only off 1 number anyways- it has an origional LS-6 crate moror in it!!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

I have plenty of good customers, a few 'eccentric' guys who like playing with off-beat combos, and I have some customers who are downright a PITA to deal with. We all do. They're a customer in every vocation you look at, and its not money dependent. We're not a hotrod shop. We're a gearbox design and production shop. However, a couple of us are hotrodders/gearheads.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.