Hot Rod Forum banner

GM "Pink" Rods

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Axelrod 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to identify the HP "Pink" GM rods? Are they the same rod referred to as the "X" rod?

The rods in question here have a raised X on both sides of the caps near the mating pad but one set has the balancing "lump' machined clear off, just a rounded cap the other set has the chunk on the bottom. Both sets have the X on their cap.

I'm curious what kind of horsepower I can put to these if they are the good rods, is it reasonable to use them in an 8-71 blown SB for the strteet and a couple of hard runs now and again?

Thanks, Larry

#3 ·
the X rod and pink rods aren`t the same. the X rod I`ve seen in heavy duty truck blocks, and other rods in these same engines have O where the X was. I`m with Lucky Luciano, if your going blown, you may as well spend the money for aftermarket rods and do the other mods to the bottom end so it`ll hold together, I sure wouldn`t trust any factory rod in a blown application, unless it was a single carb blower.

#4 ·
DoubleVision is correct with the X & O casting rods they are not "Pink rods" but with good bolts (ARP) work well up to 400-450 HP & 7000rpm but for a large blown engine as your indicating they just wont do... Even the "Pink rods" would be to light of duty for this type of app... Aftermarket rods are the way to go and be sure to match the crankshaft to them also... Stock just wont do here either (steel or cast)...

One other thing the rods you have with no balancing pad have either been used with a balanced assy or done by someone that does not know any better...? The other set would make good street rod material... ;)

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I don't intend to under-build the bottom end, but was interested in the pink rod legacy. What I wouldn't give to live in the lower 48 and have the access to after market vendors. To ship a crank or rotating assembly here will cost over $300.00 as UPS will only do 2nd day air to Alaska and the USPS says it's too heavy for their services.

Anyone have some input regarding cranks and rods that are reasonably priced? COLA, Carillo and their peers would dip deeeep into my pockets for the parts alone. I've looked at Eagle, SCAT and a few other lesser names but don't know any performance history other than what sellers say, and of course, it's all perfect for everything, ha!

Have a nice weekend, Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.